74HC595 to 5v pin shuts down uno

hi Im new to using the SN74HC595 shift register, and trying to follow this tutorial:https://www.arduino.cc/en/tutorial/ShiftOut based on this datasheet from the tutorial:

but right when my arduino uno is plugged in by usb to my windows7 x64, it works, but when I attach pin 16 or pin 10 to 5V as it says to do the entire arduino shuts off and the computer no longer recognizes it, until I disconnect the jumper wire from pin 16 or 13, from the 5v pin on the uno, then it starts up again

also just tested, and the same thing happens when I try to connect any of the 74HC595 pins to the 5v uno pin ( after pin 8 of the 74HC595 is connected to the unos GND), the whole uno shuts off and disconnects from te computer

am I missing something here?

Sounds like the 74HC595 is drawing too much power. Either it's popped or something is wrong in the way it's connected. Have you a multimeter to check the 5V on the Uno to see if it drops when you connect the 74HC595? Are any of the 74HC595 pins connected or shorted -the device could be possible trying to source power into an output short and overloading the 5V supply.

Yeah, I'd say it's defective or blown.

You may have zapped it with a [u]static discharge[/u]. Over-voltage, reverse voltage, or static discharge are the most common ways to kill a chip. Sometimes a shorted-output will kill a chip but it usually won't die right-away.

It's always a good idea to buy extras, and buy from a legitimate supplier. The manufacturers test every chip so defective chips are very rare but they can be damaged. And if you have a DIP package that plugs into a breadboard or socket swapping parts is a good way to troubleshoot.

The layout pictures show the cap connected to something beside pin 10/16, if it is connected to any other pins, remove it and connect only to 10/16. The circuit diagram pictures are correct.

Check that Pin 16 is not shorted to pin 8. If it is, fix it.

That tutorial incorrectly shows an electrolytic capacitor used for decoupling, it should be a 100nF ceramic.

You can add extra electrolytic capacitance also, but the ceramic cap is always required, and always needs
to be close to the chip with as short leads as possible - without this the chip may misbehave in various
unpredictable ways.

Your shorting fault might be due to the electrolytic capacitor being backwards - this can also cause the
cap to burst, so check for that if you have an electrolytic.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Can you post a picture of your project please, so we can see your component layout?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile: