7805 constant current circuito.

Hi!
I need a constant current for one of my projects and the only component that I had lying around to achieve this is a 7805 5 voltage regulator. I did a bit of research and came up with this schematic (picture down below). Only problem is that I cant even light up an LED! I have doble-checked all the connections and even the 7805. If pictures of the breadboard are needed I would gladly provide them.

Thanks for all your help!

Picture?

My phone could not upload it for some reason. Trying from the computer.
EDIT: I cant upload anything. I post a link to the page. The value for the resistor is 220 ohms.

Yes that circuit will work, but it has a voltage overhead of 7V, so for a 5V output you need 12V input minimum...

2V are the drop-out voltage for the regulator and 5V goes across the current setting resistor. Note that the current though the ground terminal of the regulator can be significant and you may have to allow for it when
choosing resistor value.

A smaller voltage regulator would have less overhead, such as a 3.3V or 1.8V regulator.

For small currents opamp circuits are often used for constant current, but the regulator method can provide
higher currents. Flexible regulator chips like the LM317 are often used for this kind of circuit.

Thank you so much for your help!
I was powering it with 5 volts. But, what I am trying is a very small load (a diode as a temperature sensor). How could the circuit with an op-amp be? Might be as a comparator?

No, a constant current circuit is nothing to do with a comparator. Its all to do with a constant current circuit, as
google would be able to show.

True. I found this tutorial: http://www.instructables.com/id/Constant-Current-Source-with-Operational-Amplifier/ that explains it very well.
Thanks for all the help!

Good!