80mm stepper motor limit switch question

Hello! This is my first post on the forum, so do advise me if I do any mistakes.

Model number: D8-MOTOR80

I would be using a nut slider stepper motor for my project. It is quite small (80mm stroke) and the main function of my project is to show the column of a breadboard by attaching a plastic rail on the slider, this project is to aid blind people in using a breadboard.

My question is that if I overstep the motor, would it damage it? I know conventionally people would use a limit switch to home the stepper motor, but because of its small size, I cannot think of a practical way to attach it to the motor. So I was thinking of overstepping the motor to its original position if it was out of sync.

If this is not possible, do you have any suggestions for me to use for homing the motor?

Here is a sketch of my project to help visualize it:

Thank you!

You can, probably, stall that motor without hurting anything, but it would not be difficult to add an optical or hall effect limit switch.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions! I will look into using those.

What does it mean to stall the motor? Do I just send it the slider to exceed the position on the rail?

Sorry for asking such a trivial question, I only have experience in doing basic things in arduino (led,switches) and would like to make this project for my high school competition.

The ones I have have a sort of mechanism on the end that simply clicks if they are advanced too far. These are popular especially in CD drive mechanisms.

To stall a motor means to power the motor when its rotor is physically held stopped or locked. That, in itself, will not hurt a stepper.

Stalling a regular DC brushed motor for very long can kill it, though, because of the high current drawn when locked.