8X8 Direct drive matrix

http://arduino.cc/playground/uploads/Main/Matrix.gif

The schematic is what I am wondering about. I built my own matrix 8X8. The pin configuration I am unsure of to the Arduino board. I have cathodes on rows and anodes on columns just like the schematic. Which order do the 8 anodes and 8 cathodes go into which pins on Arduino board??

And your resistors? That diagram will over stress the outputs on our arduino. Don't use it.

Yes I am using 8 resistors on the anodes to the arduino.

Anyone else? I hate for this 8X8 matrix to go to waste after I spent so much time soldering it.

FallenDemon:
Which order do the 8 anodes and 8 cathodes go into which pins on Arduino board??

Anyone else?

It’s 8x8, so [you] decide if COLumns are anodes or cathodes and the ROWs will then be the other.
Then decide if you’re going to present data as:
Rows - lines across strafing from top to bottom
OR
Columns - lines from top to bottom strafing across

Then decide if you want to do a bunch of digitalWrites or get into Port Manipulation (!)

Thanks for the reply. I am using the code here: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/DirectDriveLEDMatrix

I am just unsure what pins on arduino to go to. In the first diagram they're clearly marked which pins go where from LED matrix to Arduino. However are pins 1-8 anode or cathode? I assume 1-8 is anode or cathode and 9-16 are anode or cathode. But I wired my LED matrix according to the schematic. This is why I am unsure where the colomns and rows go. My setup is rows are cathode and column is anode.

OK, you posted that GIF, but hadn’t mentioned that there was a particular ‘sketch’ in mind.

He’s using Anodes for COLumns:
int cols[8] = {pins[13], pins[3], pins[4], pins[10], pins[06], pins[11], pins[15], pins[16]};

digitalWrite(cols[col], LOW); // Turn whole previous column off

Okay so my anodes should go into pins 13, 3, 4, 10, 06, 11, 15, and 16 on the arduino? I assume it doesn't matter the order coming from matrix?

FallenDemon: Okay so my anodes should go into pins 13, 3, 4, 10, 06, 11, 15, and 16 on the arduino? I assume it doesn't matter the order coming from matrix?

Of course it matters!

I believe the left-most COLumn, being "Column 0", should go to 13; the next one, "Column 1", should go to 3, and so on, with the column furthest to the right, "Column 7" gets connected to pin 16.

The rows are 9, 14, 8, 12, 1, 7, 2, 5 "Row 0", the top-most, goes to 9; "Row 1" goes to 14, and so on till the bottom row, "Row 7", goes to pin 5.

What about pin 1 on the Arduino? In the first diagram(the one showing the Arduino) it shows it's not used. That's where I am so confused.

Pins 0 & 1 are used for serial communications it is best not to use them in a project.

I understand. But in the schematic it clearly shows pin 1 being used in cathode rows. Row 5 to be exact.

I didn’t say it could not be used I said it is best if you don’t.

I figured it out. The second diagram was representing pin numbers on the LED matrix in first pic not the Arduino board. I rewired it and now I have a nice 8X8 LED matrix that actually works. Can someone take a look at code though and tell me how to slow the scrolling speed of the words down a bit? Thanks.

That link you posted has no code in it.

Sorry. http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/DirectDriveLEDMatrix

Change the number 60 to something bigger to slow down the scrolling

slidePattern(pattern, 60);

In the loop function.

Hey thank you for your time and responses. I appreciate the amlicable environment here. :)