8x8x8 led cube from china, control via Arduino?

Hi,

I bought an 8x8x8 led cube from china, got it soldered together. The pattern in the cube is pre-programmed, with no instructions on how to control it.

Looking at the board, there is a place on the board labeld J3, that has a vcc, gnd, and two pins that trace to the RX and TX of the microcontroller (Labeled P30 which goes to P3.0, RXD, of microcontroller, and p31 which goes to TXD of the microcontroller).

My question, is it possible to control the chip via a serial connection with an arduino, and if it might be possible, where would I start? I am a good at programming, but working with non-arduino microcontrollers is new to me and I'd like to learn.

HERE is a pinout of the chip

HERE is a video of the LED cube.

I do not really know where to begin if it is possible, if someone can point me in the right direction I can take it from there.

THANKS!

P0.0-P0.7 (39-32): P0 port is an open-drain type quasi-bidirectional I / O port. When accessing external memory, it is time-multiplexed address (lower 8 bits) and data bus, during a visit to the activation of the internal pull-up resistors. EPROM programming when it receives instruction bytes, and in the verification process, the output instruction bytes. When the verification required external pullup resistor.

P1.0-P1.7 (1-8): P1 port with internal pull-up resistor is on 8 bidirectional I / O port. When EPROM programming and program verification, which receives the lower 8-bit address.

P2.0-P2.7 (21-28): P2 mouth is an internal pull-up resistor with an 8-bit bidirectional I / O port. When accessing external memory, it sends high eight address. During programming and program verification of EFROM, it receives high eight address.

P3.0-P3.7 (10-17): P3 port is an internal pull-up resistor with an 8-bit bidirectional I / O port.

STC12C5A60S2.jpg

It's based on the Intel 8051 processor from the early 1980's. They were used in the IBM-PC Keyboard.

It might have a bootloader. If it does you'd need to figure out the protocol.

The serial might just be for debugging. Or it might give you a way to set patterns.

Perhaps you could take out the processor and connect an Arduino in its place. It depends on how many pins are needed. The 8051 is in a 40-pin chip and the ATmega328p only has 28 pins.

I was thinking the same thing about the arduino. There is another video of an Indian guy that made an 8x8x8 LED cube, with what looked to be a very similar setup chip wise, but with an arduino instead of the STC chip.