A couple of questions about Solid State Relays

Hi, just bought an Arduino Uno r3, and ethernet shield and having great fun so far. Truly fascinating. Have been looking at buying one for ages now and really getting into it.

This is my 1st post and I think I have done enough research before posting, just like to double check before I go ahead with this build as it will be dealing with 240v mains power. I am planning on physically separating the mains electronics from the Arduino electronics in separate enclosures for safety.

What I am trying to make is a timer for a mains voltage appliance.

I have done a few hours of research so have come to the conclusion that using a solid state relay simplifies the process greatly.

From my research I gather that a SSR can be driven directly from an output pin of an Arduino as it supplies 40ma, and the operating current required for the SSR is 3-25ma between 3 and 32vDC

The SSR I am planning on using is http://www.amazon.co.uk/SSR-10DA-3-32V-Input-Solid-State/dp/B00843J2RW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338150663&sr=8-1

This appears to detail the technical specifications http://www.finglai.com/product/relay/solid_state_relay/specification/SSR-10DA.html

My questions are:

The SSR I have picked is 10A capable, which I believe is sufficient. If for example 13A is drawn, what happens. Will only 10A be supplied, and lots of heat be created, or will the SSR burn out.

If a fraction of the maximum load is drawn, does that mean that the heat sink many not be strictly necessary.

From what I understand SSR's are constructed with an opto-isolater built in for protection. Can I safely assume that as the device only draws a max of 25ma, and the output pin of the Arduino can supply 40ma does that mean a current limiting resistor is not required?

Do you have any experience using an SSR to drive mains power. Any tips, or lessons you have learnt

Many thanks.

Right, the input is an LED with a series resistor, internal, no worries. A "heatsink" could be thought optional in low current applications. Mounting to an aluminum plate is a good idea. If you draw too much current, it'll get hot and just get flakey. A fuse is a good idea, always fuse AC circuits.