A Couple of questions before purchase.

I'm joining the DSLR slider club and after seeing the price for a manual servo controller is more than an Adriuno, have ended up here lurking around various threads.
The programming seems simple enough but I'm unsure on a couple of things.
A. Considering I really just need one analog input (pot) and one out for the continuous servo (PVM?) which Adriuno is best for me? Would the micro do the job? I really just want adjustable speed+forward/reverse for the servo with the option to maybe fire off something like an 'ease in/out' for super fluid motion once I get the hang of programming the Adriuno.

B. It needs to be portable so I'd lille to power the whole deal with a single rechargeable battery pack. After reading threads here I'm thinking a 5xNiMH AA pack should do the trick connected to DCin (6.5 - 6V after some discharge). Question is, will it hold up when the servo is adding load? Or should I go with 6xNiMH AA (7.8 - 7.2)? Should be of for the regulator but will the 6V servo be ok with 7.8V when the batteries are full charged?

Thanks in advance. I didn't know these existed until today, super keen to get stuck in!

EDIT.

Ok servo supply voltage is 4.5V - 6V.
So now I'm thinking 6xNiMH AA (7.8V - 7.2V) with direct connection to DCin on Ariuono and then connection to servo power via this 7806 - 6V Voltage Regulator Breakout Board | Numato Lab
That should hopefully leave enough headroom for the Adruino regulator with servo drain.
Sound feasible? Sorry my circuit building experience is minimal.

IMO I would use an UNO.

Review these:

Formalize your project call if you run into problems.

Generally, I would recommend first timers use the Uno unless there are reasons to step up to Mega, Due, Teensy, etc.. It is pretty much the standard platform, and it has shields to help you along the way. The Leonardo might also be a choice. Later, after you learn the basics, then you can go to the other platforms.

I don't recommend starting with the ATtiny85 platforms (Trinket, Gemma, Digispark, etc.) because there are a number of things that don't work the same as the Uno in that environment, due to the constraints of the chip. Sure, after you get grounded, and want to do projects where you might want to dedicate a processor to a given simple task, then the lower cost chips become a good option.

Personally, after learning on the Uno, I don't use it as much any more. I use the Teensy 3.0 as my main microprocessor, and use the ATtiny85 chips (particularly the Gemma, since it has a direct connection for lipo batteries) for simple things like neopixel goggles. The one thing with the Teensy is needing to watch voltage levels (the Teensy runs at 3.3v, as do a lot of new stuff, but the majority of the Arduino stuff runs at 5v, so you may need to do voltage conversion -- I solve this by using components that work with both voltages).

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the advice and went for a UNO for my first project .
Nothing in those docs really explaining whether a servo and the adruino will work off the same battery pack with a voltage regulator. But parts are so cheap I'm just going to go for it and see what happens. I'll post my results when I have it wired up.
I've read elsewhere people having problems with not-so-smooth motion due to not regulating the voltage to the servo so I may have killed 2 birds so to speak.