A fun project.

Hi,

I'm getting pretty bored in my holidays and I want to make something with arduino.
Please suggest me some projects which are fun and level should be medium.

I'm currently using arduino UNO R3.

Please reply fast before I die of boredom!! :relaxed:

coffee pot done - detector
daylight detector
garden water device that delays when it rains
motion sensor that detects birds then takes a picture
motioin sensor that detects deer and turns on a sprinkler to keep them out of the garden
data logger to detect when you are bored and not moving, tracks hours of bordem
light sensor that dims lamps inside when it is sunny outside and when clouds pass
death ray that reflects sun into windows to brighten rooms

you need to tell us what you have and what you want to do.

garden lights with solar cell and motion sensor. charges all day, have VERY dim light until someone comes close then it brightens until they leave.

I have
DC motors
LEDs
ultrasound sensor
Or obstacle detector
LCD 16*2 display
Diodes
Resistors

And please don't tell me to make a line following or obstacle avoiding robot

With the LEDs and resistors you could make a binary (or BCD) clock. It wouldn't be very accurate but it would be fun to watch.

I had great fun building a phenakistoscope.
It's a device to show short animations.

In the article below a stepper motor was used, but you can use a dc-motor as well.
Unfortunately the movie is flickering. Framerate of the camera and stroboscope are the cause of that. In reality it does look much better.

Since its an very old device (you can build one without electronics as well), you can find quite a lot of drawn animations for it.

A useless box is a fun thing.

...R

garden lights with solar cell and motion sensor. charges all day, have VERY dim light until someone comes close then it brightens until they leave.

That's actually quite a cool idea! But how would you adjust the brightness? Given the LEDs/lights are more powerful than the Arduino can handle itself.. :slight_smile:

bellduck:
That's actually quite a cool idea! But how would you adjust the brightness? Given the LEDs/lights are more powerful than the Arduino can handle itself.. :slight_smile:

The Arduino pins are rated for an Absolute Maximum of 40 mA. Most LEDs are at full brightness at 10 to 20 mA so the Arduino can drive them just fine. You need a series resistor to limit the current so you don't fry the LED or the Arduino.

Saarisht:
Hi,

I'm getting pretty bored in my holidays and I want to make something with arduino.
Please suggest me some projects which are fun and level should be medium.

I'm currently using arduino UNO R3.

Please reply fast before I die of boredom!! :relaxed:

The Arduino Playground has loads of projects that teach capabilities. The more you know, the better.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/GeneralCodeLibrary

Make some capacitive sensors, use leds as light sensors.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CapacitiveSensor?from=Main.CapSense
http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/LEDSensor

There are many simple projects that don't take special parts or even many parts.
Maybe you can do two in a couple of hours and then combine them?

johnwasser:
The Arduino pins are rated for an Absolute Maximum of 40 mA. Most LEDs are at full brightness at 10 to 20 mA so the Arduino can drive them just fine. You need a series resistor to limit the current so you don't fry the LED or the Arduino.

I am aware of that, but I was thinking about high power LEDs, like 3W or more. For garden lightning I think I'd like some more than a single 5mm LED. :slight_smile:
I could use a relay, but then I would be unable to dim it..

bellduck:
I am aware of that, but I was thinking about high power LEDs, like 3W or more. For garden lightning I think I'd like some more than a single 5mm LED. :slight_smile:
I could use a relay, but then I would be unable to dim it..

High power leds (and laser modules) need constant current circuits to keep from overdrawing as they heat up.

5mm leds can be driven en masse through shift registers or PWM driver chips made for RGB led displays.