A fund for free Arduino boards ?

There are some posts on the forum from young enthousiastic people, who can not afford an (official) Arduino board. There should be some fund to support those people.

But it is almost impossible to determine if someone really is going to use an Arduino board, and can not afford it.

I don't want to support a school or a maker shed, it should be for everyone in every location of the world.

Is there a fund like this ? What are your thoughts about it ?

I like the idea in itself but it is hard to implement - indeed how to check if one needs it -.
Next step is that they need sensors and servo's and robot kits and ...

People that are able to post on the internet and ask for an Arduino have access to some sort of computer.
So It might be that an open source Arduino simulator - opt web-based? - could be (part of) the solution?

I think that it is essential to have a real Arduino board.

Arduino board led blinking : 100% fun/cool factor
I give a simulator only 2% fun/cool factor

agree ...

agree ...

I do too . . .

I don't know that cost is an actual factor. Most of the complaints I've seen are of the form "I don't have a local dealer." "I don't have a credit card that will permit me to order things online." "delivery from outside my country is unreliable/illegal/plagued with customs charges." I mean, you still need a computer worth at least (about) 10x the arduino price to do anything (though that could be a shared/family/school/library resource, at least theoretically.)

I don't know that cost is an actual factor. Most of the complaints I've seen are of the form "I don't have a local dealer." "I don't have a credit card that will permit me to order things online." "delivery from outside my country is unreliable/illegal/plagued with customs charges." I mean, you still need a computer worth at least (about) 10x the arduino price to do anything (though that could be a shared/family/school/library resource, at least theoretically.)

Well . . , I live in a country that belongs to one of the, say, less serious (I regret not being english native; I don't know if subtleties in the chosen words to expain it are the same that in my language) regions of the developped world in what concern bussines (This assertion deserves a new thread . . . :~). Yet, I can't imagine a guy asking for help to buy an arduino board that does not really need help to have it.

I do realize that the mise en place of a hypothetical line of help to own an arduino is not easy; even at risk of looking stupid, I propose, at first instance, to give the possibility of donating in the forum. As the spanish proverve says "un grano no hace granero, pero ayuda al compañero" (google translator gives . . . "does a grain barn, but it helps mate", that I guess is a poor literal translation; sorry for not being able to give anythig better).

Regards to all.

(As a complement -to the donation- I have a lot of ideas, being an -arduino based- developpment contest for the beneficiaries one of them. I have, even, some of the -modest- goals in mind)

I just read that the Arduino Store can accept a "discount coupon". It seems to be used by distributers for a certain discount.
Could that be extended for single use only ? And for distributers around the world ?

"I don't have a local dealer"...
OK, the same people that buy music and apps online.

"I don't have a credit card that will permit me to order things online."
A lot of banks give free debit cards that you can fill up with the amount of money needed to buy the Arduino

"delivery from outside my country is unreliable/illegal/plagued with customs charges."
So, should we buy the cards and ship to them for free? And, then, what's more? Maybe an Arduino Starter Kit? :wink:

Finally, Arduino is the first thing to buy. If those people think that with just the Arduino we could do everything they're wrong. Who will buy the rest to realize their projects? $)

"I don't have a local dealer"...
OK, the same people that buy music and apps online.

"I don't have a credit card that will permit me to order things online."
A lot of banks give free debit cards that you can fill up with the amount of money needed to buy the Arduino

"delivery from outside my country is unreliable/illegal/plagued with customs charges."
So, should we buy the cards and ship to them for free? And, then, what's more? Maybe an Arduino Starter Kit? smiley-wink

Finally, Arduino is the first thing to buy. If those people think that with just the Arduino we could do everything they're wrong. Who will buy the rest to realize their projects? smiley-money

¡Esto se pone interesante! (The whole thing heats up!)

As the spanish proverve says "un grano no hace granero, pero ayuda al compañero" (google translator gives . . . "does a grain barn, but it helps mate", that I guess is a poor literal translation; sorry for not being able to give anythig better).

My Spanish is much poorer than your English but I see that as "One grain isn't a granary[1], but it adds grist[2] to the mill[3]." or something similar.

1. Granary is the place where grain is stored.
  2. Grist is the term for the grain that is fed into a mill.
  3. A mill is where grain is ground to make flour. Spanish 'molina' ?

In other words, "Every little bit helps."

Spanish 'molina' ?

"Molino" (male). The explanation is correct; the spanish porverbe refers to every granary (I'm not sure if every "grain in the granary" is going to feed the mill -i think yes, so that your explantion would be completely correct ;))

Every case "Every little bit helps" is the idea (Is this a proverbe?)

Thanks. Kind regards.

vffgaston:

Spanish 'molina' ?

"Molino" (male).

I told you my Spanish was poor! But I can curse fluently in it. :slight_smile:

The explanation is correct; the spanish porverbe refers to every granary (I'm not sure if every "grain in the granary" is going to feed the mill -i think yes, so that your explantion would be completely correct ;))

Every case "Every little bit helps" is the idea (Is this a proverbe?)

Not really a proverb, more a common saying.

Not really a proverb, more a common saying.

OK. Thanks. (Improving my english).

Support your LOCAL young enthusiastic people!
There are more then enough people on here that could afford a genuine Arduino.
And in their neighborhood some one who could use a board and mentor to help them.
So look next door.