A Human Detector

Hi Everyone,

At my house we keep getting unwanted intruders... if you know what I mean (burglars). Problem is that the police/security companies are too slow.

But if I knew that they where on my property because they crossed a beam I could confront them before they steal anything.

So I've given it some thought I was considering a infrared beam with a proximity sensor above it. So as soon as the beam is triggered the proximity sensor will check the distance between the object that just passed and the proximity sensor(to determine if it's a animal or human).

The only hole in this plan is that the burglar could be crouching, so it would be regarded as an animal.

So I need to find away to make a system that can confirm that a human has crossed a check point/beam.

Any suggestions or current projects would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, cal_404

cal_404: At my house we keep getting unwanted intruders... if you know what I mean (burglars). Problem is that the police/security companies are too slow.

Where in South Africa are you? :o

Write some image recognition software that runs on a PC or GHz single board computer.

Essentially you need to replicate a commercial system such as this http://www.clearview-communications.com/cctv/facial-recognition-video-analytics

JimboZA: Where in South Africa are you? :o

haha, KZN

You would probably do better with motion activated security lights in the area (and other home security devices). I think the Foscams have motion detection and will take pictures and send emails when motion is detected.