a Iemperature/pressure project using bmp280 sparfun library and lcd display

Hi well ime called dispair for a reason ive been trying for many tens of hours to make a temperature/pressure/humidity project outputting to an lcd display using a bme/p 280 dht22/rht03 and sparkfun bme280 library. i tried adafruit but even bme/p 280 test wont find the sensor even with 0x76 or 77 address. i stumbled on the sparkfun library and that works "ok" every time. failure to verify/compile is the most common problem whereas with adafruits it fails to find the sensor.without fail failure to verify/compile is caused by a missing charactor or line or whatever. some are easy to spot with the on screen prompt but dont work after upload.. so ime after a simple project bmp/e 280 dht22/rht03 uno v3r3 and 2 or 4 line i2c or not i2c lcd display nokio 5110 or regular screen. because ime old i remember the old zx81 spectrum magazine programs which were notorious for having missing or unintelegable text.. i wonder how many online programs are "not" checked but just disigned and copy/past. also i found a simple one on youtube but found the company didnt have to code so what use was the video. ime not clever and my sticks and marbles are victorian but i can make other projects with pic controllers and did make an 8 bit pc using breadboards on youtube. my knowledge of arduino programming is limited and disigning this priject is and will stay beyond me with the wierd names the programming steps have. my portable arduino gpd temp/pressure project works on gps but not on the bmp 180 part as the 280 isnt a plug in replacement like a light bulb but i do have a bmp085 and 180 on the way from china.for th 2 projects,as very perhaps they will work when plugged in. many thanks h a n d from dispair ps did buy a £28 project book but same old dont work dont verefy !!!

Hi "dispair". Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm not surprised you struggle with code, you have to be 100% precise and accurate with every spelling and punctuation mark. I can tell that is not your particular forte.

There are programming languages that are more visual. Perhaps they would suit you better. One is called "Scratch". Unfortunately I don't think it is available for Arduino. But it is available on Raspberry Pi.

Which Arduino board do you use ?

Are you connecting 3.3V sensors with a 5V Arduino board ? How many sensors and modules are connected to the I2C bus ? Which modules are they ? Can you give links to those modules ? Are there pullup resistors on the modules ?

The first thing to try with a I2C bus is the I2C Scanner: https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner.

A Nokia 5110 display runs at 3.3V. Sometimes they are sold as being compatible with 5V, but they are not. Sparkfun hookup guide: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/graphic-lcd-hookup-guide

The Arduino uses normal C++, and the special Arduino functions are here: https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/. In the menu on the left on that page you can also chose "LIBRARIES" for the standard libraries that are already included with the Arduino IDE.

The difference with a Arduino sketch and embedded systems is how interrupt are used. With the Arduino it is often not needed to use interrupts. There are other ways to achieve the same goal. For example with millis().

@PaulRB, Scratch and Arduino go well together. Kids all over the world are using it. There are a few Scratch-alike applications. For example mBlock. There is also Tinkercad.com, which has a "Circuits" section for Arduino. It can use "Blocks" and normal Arduino text for a sketch. There is no need to install something, only creating an autodesk account. I did not even bother to try my millis-demo on a real Arduino board :o

dispair:
failure to verify/compile is the most common problem

dispair:
failure to verify/compile is caused by a missing charactor or line or whatever.

dispair:
ps did buy a £28 project book but same old dont work dont verefy !!!

We can almost always help with this sort of problem if you provide us with the necessary information:

When you encounter an error you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button. Paste the error in a message here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

Post your full sketch. If possible you should always post code directly in the forum thread as text using code tags (</> button on the toolbar). This will make it easy for anyone to look at it, which will increase the likelihood of you getting help. If the sketch is longer than the forum will allow then it’s ok to add it as an attachment. Don’t put your code in some external file service like dropbox, etc. We shouldn’t need to go to an external website just to help you. I do feel it’s reasonable to post a link to code hosted on GitHub or similar code hosting sites since that’s an platform specifically designed for this sort of thing

Please always do a Tools > Auto Format on your code before posting it. This will make it easier for you to spot bugs and make it easier for us to read. If you’re using the Arduino Web Editor then you will not have access to this useful tool. I recommend using the standard Arduino IDE instead.

When your code requires a library that’s not included with the Arduino IDE please post a link(using the chain links icon on the toolbar to make it clickable) to where you downloaded that library from or if you installed it using Library Manger(Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries) then say so and state the full name of the library.

hi thank you for replys and i will answer some now. i use the 3.3v as recommended but have noticed that my original arduino gives 3.3v but rises to 4v with the sensor sda/scl connected. the clone ones are somwhat higher at over 4volts but less as its loaded. i have 4 of these from the same supplier and cannot say ive had any problems with them. they work ever time every time with the ide examples. while ime waiting for the chinese sensors i leave the board display etc in its semi working condition and assemble another to try and fix the problems. as they are cheap enough. one nokia 5110 was a bit suspect but squeezing the metal frame cleaned up the contacts inside so its ok now. i will take your advice on sending you the error codes i am getting and the site the sketches come from .it only takes a minit to wire one up and as ime retired i have plenty of time. my gps one works well apart from the bmp sensor and i took it out on a bus ride and watched with interest as the altitude asl changed and the lat/long. when my nano comes i can work on that with out disturbing the boxed version the pressure in 4 digit millibars (ie 1026mb) only shows 2mb when there should be 4 numbers or maybe as theres no input it defaults to that. arduino seems to be a vast thing with lots of followers and multiple ways of doing the same thing. i hope to work thro the examples, especially the lcd i2c and non i2c as that would help my understanding at present. i did the i2c bus scanner for the bmp/e280 and it came up 0x76 and followed exactly a project for a weather station, i looked as he did(on youtube) to change the 0x77 to 76 but my sketch using the exact same as i thought his download as he had didnt show the address where it did on his so i added it in and i think it moved the verify/compile on a bit to the next problem.. i keep waiting for the buzz when it verifies/compiles/uploads and works rather than just blank. ime not giving up yet as ive want these useful projects many thanks

I'm sorry, I can't help you. I can't read or understand what you are saying. It's too much detail in an unstructured torrent. If spelling correctly and using sentences and punctuation is not your style, then in my opinion coding is not going to be something you are destined to be good at. I'm so sorry if this sounds mean. I don't want you to waste your time, or anyone else's. Your talents must lie elsewhere. Please go find them.

dispair:
hi thank you for replys and i will answer some now.
i use the 3.3v as recommended but have noticed that my original arduino gives 3.3v but rises to 4v with the sensor sda/scl connected.

the clone ones are somwhat higher at over 4volts but less as its loaded.
i have 4 of these from the same supplier and cannot say ive had any problems with them.

they work ever time every time with the ide examples.

while ime waiting for the chinese sensors i leave the board display etc in its semi working condition and assemble another to try and fix the problems.

as they are cheap enough. one nokia 5110 was a bit suspect but squeezing the metal frame cleaned up the contacts inside so its ok now.
i will take your advice on sending you the error codes i am getting and the site the sketches come from .

it only takes a minit to wire one up and as ime retired i have plenty of time.

my gps one works well apart from the bmp sensor and i took it out on a bus ride and watched with interest as the altitude asl changed and the lat/long.

when my nano comes i can work on that with out disturbing the boxed version

the pressure in 4 digit millibars (ie 1026mb) only shows 2mb when there should be 4 numbers or maybe as theres no input it defaults to that.

arduino seems to be a vast thing with lots of followers and multiple ways of doing the same thing.

i hope to work thro the examples, especially the lcd i2c and non i2c as that would help my understanding at present.

i did the i2c bus scanner for the bmp/e280 and it came up 0x76 and followed exactly a project for a weather station,

i looked as he did(on youtube) to change the 0x77 to 76 but my sketch using the exact same as i thought his download as he had didnt show the address where it did on his so i added it in and i think it moved the verify/compile on a bit to the next problem…

i keep waiting for the buzz when it verifies/compiles/uploads and works rather than just blank. ime not giving up yet as ive want these useful projects many thanks

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.
Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?
Sorry I had to edit your post to help clear up some answers.
Hint, Each time you start a sentence with I start the sentence on a new line.
Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

hi thank for your reply. ime sorry ime not up to your standard and can see as you said ime wasting everybodies time so thus ends dispairs involvement with the arduino forum. ime just a dummy after all !! good bye,,hardly after that comment.

dispair,

if you come from the view point that the computer cannot ever mess things up, then the only thing left is that the human did not do something right.

you cannot miss-spell a word in a program. ever. ever.

since you have a very casual way of typing and bending the rules on spelling, we assume that you might follow that practice in your software writing as well.

Here are some tips.
first, read ‘how to use this forum’ it is a post at the top of every forum. it explains how to post code by using code tags. this is item #7.

second,
verify your sketch, copy the errors and see if you can spot things you did wrong.
you might find places that spelling was a bit off.
if you define temperature1 as a value
then temp-1 or temper_1 or temperature 1 or teemperater1… will all fail.
the errors help you find those mistakes.

third, after you get done the easy stuff,
post your code, using ‘how to use this forum’ #7 about using code tags
and also post your errors the same way.

fourth, understand that each one of us has walked in your shoes at some point.
we have made almost every mistake you have and we are of the mind that if we tell you how to avoid them, your fun will increase and your dispair will decrease.

=================

As a note, we suggest you make a sketch of how things are connected, ,maybe some pictures…

By the way, my speal cheacker does not always work two wheel eitehrs.