A little help with CanBus sniffing project needed

Hello

I am working on a canbus project but I have some difficulties translating Can codes of my car. My car is Chevrolet Cruze 2012 if it matters. I am able to read can IDs and codes so far, but I don't know how to filter which one I need. Can you help me with this part ? For example I would like to filter which code mutes the radio so I can send a mute code when reverse gear code is detected.

I am trying everything I can think of. I see some people using CANhacker tool but I when I work with it I get error saying "CAN interface not responding". I guess my configuration (arduino uno + MCP2515 canbus shield) is not suitable for CANhacker.

I will be glad if you can help me. Thank you in advance!

I would have thought a code to mute the radio may not exist or maybe specific to that car and therefore not published . You only hope is to look on forums for that car and see what you can find. No idea how you can sniff out the code unless you can see it on the bus the instance the radio mutes.
Are you sure your radio is actually linked into the ECU - does it have its own computer and/or with CAN or LIN connections

You could always take a feed from the reversing light switch and use that to mute the radio …

orgamisho: For example I would like to filter which code mutes the radio so I can send a mute code when reverse gear code is detected.

What makes you think your radio will mute if [u]you send the code[/u]. Your Canbus module will be alien to the cars Canbus system, it is not part of the overall system, it will not have a recognizable address. The radio will probably be expecting the mute code from only a few other CanBus modules.

Tom... :)

TomGeorge: What makes you think your radio will mute if [u]you send the code[/u]. Your Canbus module will be alien to the cars Canbus system, it is not part of the overall system, it will not have a recognizable address. The radio will probably be expecting the mute code from only a few other CanBus modules.

This isn't an issue as regular CAN packets don't have source or destination addresses, just payload IDs and payload data. OBD is a bit different as each sending control unit uses a single ID and the nature of the payload is encoded as a field within the payload.

To figure out which ID you need you'll probably need to tap into the CAN bus that is connected to the radio rather than the OBD connector. Turn the volume control and see if any of the messages change in sympathy.

To take control of the volume you'll need two MCP2515 devices to split the CAN bus that connects to the radio body unit. You program the Arduino to intercept the messages from the volume control and replace them with your doctored version. Fraudulently underclocking the dashboard distance counter is done in the same way so you will probably find lots of information on how to do this.

The messages related to reversing may not necessarily be on the same bus as the radio. You may need another MCP2515 monitoring another bus or the OBD interface.