So, I had to make a couple of solder joints the other day, so I dropped my soldering block (it's a cutting board) on the counter and got to it. Like we all do from time to time, I got distracted and accidentally hit my finger with the iron, giving me one of those instant, painful surface burns that irons are good at.
This was not that bad.. until I dropped the iron to run cold water on my finger and didn't notice it roll off the cutting board and onto the counter. The three year old laminate countertop my wife loves.
Apparently laminate countertops are applied using a heat-based adhesive, and once heated enough, it will bubble up. When that bubble comes in contact with a soldering iron, the iron is plenty hot enough to burn a hole in the now bubbled up counter laminate.
[pauses to get reactions.. expecting range from "OMG you are dead" to "I did that once, just before the divorce"]