A question about Nrf24l01+ and Maniacbug's library

I am new to the forums and I'm an unexperienced programmer. I am trying to set up a remote control based on 2 nrf24l01 and Maniacbug's library. What I am trying to do is use the joystick code at http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo but I want to add a third part to send. The portions of the original code are

int joystick[2];

void loop(){
  joystick[0] = analogRead(JOYSTICK_X);
  joystick[1] = analogRead(JOYSTICK_Y);

radio.write( joystick, sizeof(joystick) );

I want to add a kill switch to stop everything so can I just modify it to

int joystick[3]

void loop(){
  joystick[0] = analogRead(JOYSTICK_X);
  joystick[1] = analogRead(JOYSTICK_Y);
  joystick[2] = digitalRead(Kill_All);

radio.write( joystick, sizeof(joystick) );
/

What I need to know (I would test it but I am waiting on a second Arduino) is will the joystick[3] split the data in to 3 equal parts or is there a way to tell it to split it in to the values I want, x-val(10 bit), y-val(10 bits), and kill(1 bit). Should I just code it to where kill is also 10 bits by adding 000 to my one bit?

That will work, but the individual values of joystick are each 16 bits (2 bytes). So, 4 bytes are sent with the first code fragment and 6 bytes are sent with the second code fragment.

Arduinos adc is 10 bit, so why would the range of the joysticks be 16 bits(not doubting you, just not understanding)? And does the kill all part need to be the same size (amount of bits) or is there a way of telling the sketch to separate the array the way I want. I am not asking for an answer I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

joystick is declared "int", each member of which takes up 16 bits.

You need at minimum 21 bits to store all your data, which could be packed into 3 bytes (24 bits) for transmission. But the process is somewhat complicated, and has to be undone at the receiver, so why bother unless you need to?

I see and thanks. For the project I think a failsafe is is needed, and I would also like to keep all transmissions the same format. So if I declared joystick[3] and send all as 2 bytes then I can just pull the data out using joysick[0], joysick[1], and joystick[2] on the receiver side.... Correct? As long as they are the same size?

Yes, that is the easiest approach.