A somewhat complex first undertaking! Feasible?

Hi guys, I just joined up as I would like to ask about the possibility of my first endeavour in the world of Arduino and Android! I don't know if you'll completely get what I'm trying to do as I have an inherent inability to explain things effectively, so please bare with me!

Ok, to start off I want to build a device using Arduino - as was recommended to me by someone over on overclock.net - that has the ability to control and manage 16 12V 2.0A fans, 3 24V pumps, report temperatures via USB from on-board sensors of a motherboard - the ones that 3rd-party programs like RealTemp, GPU-Z, CPU-Z, RivaTuner, etc. monitor - and all this needs to be controllable by an android app, it also needs to be able to report flow rate sensors, the RPM's of fans and LED's and lighting modules also need to be controllable. I would also need it to be able to control electronic locking mechanisms (I'm assuming I'd use something associated with servo's or motors here) as the computer case will need to be impenetrable.

I'm having a hard time concentrating at the moment so I might have missed something or a few things but I'll be sure to add them as I can remember.

Thanks.

Edit: So basically what I'm asking is, what do I need to learn, what type of device(s) will I need to build and where can I learn more about what needs to be done. Oh, it would also be nice to know if this is feasible, not in the financial sense, that will be of no concern, but just generally. If not, is there another way of doing it? I.e not via Arduino but something else? If so, what?

for all the things you want to do you might be best to look at an arduino mega, motor control sheild, and read up on FET’s, as far as communication its serial and should be pretty simple to tie into a control program on your android device.

the big thing to start figuring out is how much current each device is going to take individually and in total, its going to be a large amount, which means theres a lot of heat to deal with. might mean you cant just buy items off the shelf and wire it together … its going to be a big project managing all this, but yea its feasible

Why not use another PC, or this PC itself, since it's already on, nearby, and in the same case?

Osgeld: for all the things you want to do you might be best to look at an arduino mega, motor control sheild, and read up on FET's, as far as communication its serial and should be pretty simple to tie into a control program on your android device.

the big thing to start figuring out is how much current each device is going to take individually and in total, its going to be a large amount, which means theres a lot of heat to deal with. might mean you cant just buy items off the shelf and wire it together ... its going to be a big project managing all this, but yea its feasible

Ahh, that's good, the more complex and the bigger, the better! I'm actually serious lol, the bigger and more complex something is, the easier it is for me... my mind works in very, very weird ways XD

I'm currently learning how to develop android apps and designing UI's so I can make the managing of everything streamlined and easy to use.

I don't really know if heat will be an issue in this case (and by heat I'm talking about the heat the power regulation would give off from such a device)... the reason I say that is because the case I'll be using is a Mountain Mods Extended Ascension http://www.mountainmods.com/extended-ascension-cyo-custom-computer-case-p-493.html and a Pedestal http://www.mountainmods.com/pedestal-24-p-492.html upon which the case sits. In the case alone, the way I have the options configured gives me six 184CFM fans blowing air from the front through to the back in which there are another three 184CFM fans that exhaust the air, so mounting there would provide a very powerful air cooling area. The pedestal I've configure for 6 intake fans (184CFM's again - all fans are 184CFM) and three exhaust fans at the back for positive air pressure. I think I'll be mounting whatever it is I build down in the pedestal as on the front of the pedestal is where I plan to mount a cheap 10" tablet to control everything.

By the way... by "FET's" are you referring to MOSFETS? Just so I'm clear.

sbright33: Why not use another PC, or this PC itself, since it's already on, nearby, and in the same case?

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Do you mean for me to use the computer to control all aspects of the system? I'm building an all out wow factor computer that is ultimately managed by an android app. This app will control everything from unlocking the various case panels, to turning on the computer, the PSU's are to be individually powered on and off, one PSU will be used for all the hardware like motherboard, harddrives and graphics cards, the other will be used for the watercooling loops, lighting, fans, and other various tasks as a single 1200W PSU could not handle the amount of power this system will draw once completed.

I'm not building this for total practicality, everything I do I go all out and over the top. I'm an extremely avid high-tech enthusiast and simple things bore me.

You could make it much more complex and difficult using a PC. Arduinos are generally simple. I like simple!

sbright33: You could make it much more complex and difficult using a PC. Arduinos are generally simple. I like simple!

Haha, using another computer to do what I want the tablet to do would be a bit more complex and such but it becomes rather pointless. Lol. By using the Arduino with an Android app I can keep everything contained and in a generally small place. I'm thinking of adding the ability for the arduino to either be wireless or go on the internet much later on so I can use the functionality of a tablet being mobile and monitor my computer from wherever I wanted to.

There's really only one thing so far that's confused me about arduino, I have no idea how arduino's work or go together... I have a fair bit of reading to do. :D

arduino at its heart is just an 8 bit computer with ram rom and some limited peripherals all shoved in a chip, micro controllers are used to connect the software world with the physical world though various dumb devices hooked up to it. its very much like bit banging the printer port on the back of a PC, cept you get more lines to play with and it runs independent of an OS etc