A Special program

I'm looking to see if I can build a wave controller for my aquarium. The what would be the list of parts that I would need?

Also could I make a controller that would do a program on 120 outlets

1. left side 2 seconds then off
  2. right for one second then off
  3. left side on for one second then off 4.Right side on for one second then off

4. left side on for one second then off 6..right for two seconds then off

5. left side for one second then off

6. right for one second then off

7. left side on for one second then off

8. right for one second then off

Then Have the whole thing repeat.

reefscene:
I’m looking to see if I can build a wave controller for my aquarium. The what would be the list of parts that I would need?

You’ll need to give us more info than “build a wave controller”. What does it do? Make waves? How? What sort of mechanism are you thinking of? What happens during the “left side 2 seconds”?

Also could I make a controller that would do a program on 120 outlets

Depends entirely on what you mean by “do a program” and “on 120 outlets”
Is that 120 outlets or a few 120 Volt outlets? How do you envision a “program on them”?

< many vague statements snipped>

Then Have the whole thing repeat.

Repeating is easy. But then so is explaining exactly what you want to do. You should try it sometime when you need advice.

Check the tutorials on servo's. - use a servo (or more) to move a (small) beam up and down - in the example code delay is used, that is blocking but given your requirements it is acceptable

void loop()
{
   // 1.  left side 2 seconds then off 
  left(2);
  //  2. right for one second then off
  right(1);
  // 3. left side on for one second then off
  left(1);
  // 4.Right side on for one second then off 
  right(1);
  //  etc.
}

void left(int seconds)
{
   servoLeft(HIGHPOSITION);  
   delay(seconds * 1000UL);
   servoLeft(LOWPOSITION);  
}

void right(int seconds)
{
   servoRight(HIGHPOSITION);  
   delay(seconds * 1000UL);
   servoRight(LOWPOSITION);  
}

There are four outlets that are 120 volts each. Two that will run two water pumps on the right side of the aquarium, and two for the left. I custom build aquariums and have never touched code writing so please be patient. When I say one for one second, I'm referring to the time the the 120 volt outlet is on. As far as what type of wave, it does not matter as it is a water wave. I also have no idea what parts to use so any guidance there would also be greatly appreciated.

reefscene: There are four outlets that are 120 volts each. Two that will run two water pumps on the right side of the aquarium, and two for the left.

OK, are the pumps actually the things that make the waves? If not, please let us know what sort of mechanism creates the waves.

I custom build aquariums and have never touched code writing so please be patient. When I say one for one second, I'm referring to the time the the 120 volt outlet is on.

OK.. that's a fairly easy one. You will not want to put anything inside the outlet itself, so the best thing to use to switch 120VAC is a Solid State Relay. You can get versions that activate with fairly low current and voltage, yet will switch fairly high current devices on/off. For example, I just did a search on eBay using "solid state relay" without the quotes, and saw quite a few. The one at the top of the list was eBay item number 310702225734, "Output 24V-380V 25A SSR-25 DA Solid State Relay For PID Temperature Controller", (being sold by a vendor I have purchased many items from), and the Buy It Now price is $3.88 USD. You'll wait about three weeks for delivery.

You would want to test the input current with a multimeter to ensure that it was within the Arduino limits, but it most likely i. Worst case, you buy one more transistor to drive it.

You would also want to mount the SSRs in a secure enclosure, perhaps ventilated if they produce much heat, and bring the outputs out to proper AC sockets.

As far as what type of wave, it does not matter as it is a water wave. I also have no idea what parts to use so any guidance there would also be greatly appreciated.

Well, it matters in that there are several ways to make waves, and in order to advise you on parts requirements, we really do need to know how those waves are made.

You would also want to mount the SSRs in a secure enclosure, perhaps ventilated if they produce much heat, and bring the outputs out to proper AC sockets.

And keep them well away from any water.

The pump I was going to use is this one. http://www.aquacave.com/Tunze-Turbelle-Stream-6255-High-Flow-Water-Pump-P3750.aspx

As far of what kind of wave it produces, I have no idea it just pushes water. The idea behind the program is to create a more natural wave pattern like the pattern on a beach.

Yes, keeping the electrical away from water is a must. 120 volts and saltwater hurts like hell.

reefscene:
Yes, keeping the electrical away from water is a must. 120 volts and saltwater hurts like hell.

Pfttt! 120 volts is nothing, you want to try 250V.

Then again, maybe you don’t. :smiley: :smiley:

I'm going to compile a parts list this weekend for what I think I need. Should I post in this thread or just start one in the parts area?

Henry_Best:

reefscene: Yes, keeping the electrical away from water is a must. 120 volts and saltwater hurts like hell.

Then again, maybe you don't. :D :D

250v??? LUXURY!!! Our dad used to hook us up to a pylon before breakfast....

BareMetal:

Henry_Best:

reefscene: Yes, keeping the electrical away from water is a must. 120 volts and saltwater hurts like hell.

You had it bloody easy! We had to work the treadmill generators 26 hours a day before our dad allowed us to be hooked up to a pylon...and NO breakfast...

Henry_Best:

BareMetal:

Henry_Best:

You had it bloody easy! We had to work the treadmill generators 26 hours a day before our dad allowed us to be hooked up to a pylon...and NO breakfast...

Huh, we had no breakfast, hand full of gravel for dinner, and then had to work down t'mines for mobile phone ore the rest of the day.....

Tom........ :)

TomGeorge:

Henry_Best:

BareMetal:

Henry_Best:

Huh, we had no breakfast, hand full of gravel for dinner, and then had to work down t'mines for mobile phone ore the rest of the day.....

Tom........ :)

right.

michael faraday used to use me to test his van der graaf generator by connecting it to my soft parts while making me stand in a bucket of salt water holding benjamin franklins kite during a thunderstorm for threepence every six weeks.

then he used to come home at night, cut us in half with a plasma cutter and dance about on our graves singing Kirchoff's laws.

tell that to the newbies today and they wont believe you...

tell that to the newbies today and they wont believe you...

I'm not a newbie, and I don't believe you.

I came here because of the title, greatly not disappointed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: