A tablet device which works with Arduino & Flash

Hello,

I'm creating an arduino project using serproxy and AS3 to create an interactive piece. The reason I'm using Flash is because my project is mainly animation based and doesn't require too much programming. I've managed to make the whole thing work on my PC, including all the animation and programming. Are there any tablet devices which support both Arduino (running standard Firmata), serproxy and Flash? It seems like quite a lot for a tablet device to take on. I want to avoid Flex where it's possible since the timeline works well in my favour for this project.

The ideal tablet would be an iPad, but I'm sceptical about this due to Job's not being a fan of Flash applications... Anywho, I can see there being several problems with tablet devices, including sandbox security issues and loading executables in the background (serproxy). There was an article here http://code.google.com/p/ideo-maemotablet/wiki/NokiaN810ArduinoSetup, but this is for a NokiaN810 and seems a little outdated.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Are there any tablet devices which support both Arduino (running standard Firmata), serproxy and Flash?

If by "support" you mean communication between Arduino and tablet, you could do it via Bluetooth or WiFi.

The ideal tablet would be an iPad

You want 1) Flash, 2) Serproxy, and 3) Arduino running Firmdata support I'm not sure what #3 really means. I guess it means writing an App that interfaces with Firmdata? #2 and #1 isn't available on an iPad. Seems to me the iPad is far from the ideal choice. Generally when I consider something to be "ideal" it is because it supports most (or all) of my requirements.

Speaking of Flash on Tablets, you might consider how Adobe has is abandoning it on mobile devices in favor of HTML5. http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/09/tech/mobile/adobe-mobile-flash-wired/index.html

It would probably be wiser to look at developing in HTML5. Either an Android-based tablet or a jailbroken iPad then becomes an option.

If by "support" you mean communication between Arduino and tablet, you could do it via Bluetooth or WiFi.

I'm thinking about if mobile devices can run everything that is required to make it work. It works fine on my computer but it may not work on a tablet. This project is just a prototype for display purposes, so if I can get it working on any mobile device it would serve it's purpose.

Generally when I consider something to be "ideal" it is because it supports most (or all) of my requirements.

Sorry, I meant it would be cost effective as I already own this tablet. There may be hacks available to support Flash but I'll do some research.

I understand the Flash will gradually be replaced by HTML5 and I've already jumped on the bandwagon. HTML5 is great for compatibility and would be an excellent choice but unfortunately doesn't offer many animation tools that I've used for this project. It uses many different layers, blending and bone tools. I might be able to convert the animation into a video and overlay HTML5 buttons which will be great for mobile devices, I'll look into this.

I think your best bet is to wait for Windows 8 and get an x86/64 tablet with it.

As JamesCS4 says Adobe isn't pushing Flash as aggressively as it was a few years ago. It's never going to run on iPads and support for Android tablets is sketchy at best. My guess is support on the (soon to be) Windows ARM tablets will be equally dicey.

If you get an x86/64 tablet it will be able to run anything a desktop can run; Flash, the Adruino, environment, etc.

Good luck!

Thank you magagna, there's a good possibility that I'll be doing this. As I said, it's mainly for display purposes as I want people to interact with a touch screen rather than use a mouse. It's an interactive story which alters the ambiance of the room as the user progresses through the story, changing coloured lights and sounds. Arduino outputs the colours and several servo motors to enhance the user's engagement. Another possibility is making a low cost touch screen and getting people to use this instead (as shown in the video below), but I think the thrill is from altering the whole dynamic of the room by using a simple mobile device.

There's an awkward transition for designers like me who work well with the interface and timeline of Adobe products. HTML5 offers a lot, but I'm waiting for Adobe Edge so that I can create some layered vector animation with HTML5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ