A thread for serious bugs in the new forum

It is

Here is the opinion of a real lawyer on forum’s posts (Google translate from Dutch)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://blog.iusmentis.com/2018/04/03/geldt-het-vergeetrecht-onder-de-avg-ook-bij-forumdiscussies/

Know that Arduino's lawyers would have been through this with a fine comb.
Would tend to trust thier opinion before anyone else's. :face_with_monocle:

yes, all forums share similar practice and responsibilities.

Using an off the shelf tool for the forum helps with compliance.

In the very rare circumstances where someone has a legitimate need to remove information after the 5 minutes grace period has passed, they can delete their reply or request a moderator to handle it.

In the much more common cases when you only want to make a correction, then an edit is appropriate and the edit history is useful.

Deleting a post after the 5 minute grace period would be a destructive thing to do to topics.

We also have a lot of people who don't know or care to use the flags too.

Just my 2c

From topic EEPROM.read before void setup() :

/////////////////////////
int EEPROM.read(0, (uint16*)&S);
//////////////////////////

HTML source:

< span class="hljs-regexp">//</ span>
< span class="hljs-regexp">/
int EEPROM.read(0, (uint16*)&amp;S);
/</ span>< span class="hljs-regexp">//</ span>

No wonder this forum is so sloooowwww.... :frowning:

PS.: Can't even post HTML in code tags, every span tag becomes a span instead of just showing the text "span". #fail

if you add cpp after the triple back quotes that's what you get

<code class="lang-cpp hljs"><span class="hljs-comment">/////////////////////////</span>
<span class="hljs-keyword">int</span> EEPROM.read(<span class="hljs-number">0</span>, (uint16*)&amp;S);
<span class="hljs-comment">//////////////////////////</span>
</code>

@dax1 @alranel

1 Like

No, that's NOT what you get.
I selected the contents of your code box and viewed the source code (Firefox: right mouse click > View Source), and this is what I saw:

To break the long lines I copy/pasted that into Notepad, selected Line Wrap, and this is what I ended up with:

Please notice:

• the first line: code class="hljs perl"
  • the 33 (!!) span elements, each containing two slashes
  • the character before "&lt;" : FD D0 ?
  • and the one after "&gt; : FD EF ?
    source code 849027-133-3

PS.: I had to type a backslash before the ampersand in the previous two lines, because otherwise the code was interpreted as HTML. So it doesn't matter wether you use a code tag or not, this forum translates it anyway.
PPS.: This is what it's come down to: a forum where I have to type "ampersand" instead of "&", because I'm afraid it will not come out the way I want it to. And show a screendump of the code, because that's the only way to make sure you see exactly the same as I do.
Ridiculous. :frowning:

Seems to work fine for me. This markup:

* the character before `&lt;` : FD D0 ?
* and the one after `&gt;` : FD EF ?

Renders as:

• the character before &lt; : FD D0 ?
  • and the one after &gt; : FD EF ?

Are you seeing something different?

hum. I think I know what I got... I added cpp after the triple backquote and then I viewed html source code in the debugger. What I posted is what I copied...

(cropped)

I'm unsure what you are inspecting. Let's try with this one:

/////////////////////////
int EEPROM.read(0, (uint16*)&S);
//////////////////////////

that's what I see

Again, as you could have seen in my image: it's a part of your message #133.

No, not again. I'm getting sick and tired of this forum and its bugs.

My answer 133 had no code tag…. But whatever. It’s a free world if you don’t want to check, that’s your call

I disagree with what you call a bug in this case.

Are you calling me a liar? Here's a screendump of your message #133:

I think we are lost in translation here. (And I’m saying I don’t get the scientific attitude to not explore remarks on a point you raised)

To be possibly clearer:

By code tag I mean the forums’ tags, what the user types in. Not what the forums parser generates to represent the user’s input.

What I am saying is that

• if you only have the triple back quotes to mark the code area then double slashes then it appears that // are caught (as you show) as comments and grouped together in the html that gets generated
  • if you add cpp after the triple back quotes then it seems it’s parsed differently and generates the code you see in my screen capture. That’s why I provided a piece of code with the cpp for you to double check you have the same behavior in case the forum’s parser takes also into account the client browser or PC/Mac or OS

My point is that it’s auto-detection related and using cpp generates less verbose html

Discourse is using highlightjs.org to automatically highlight code blocks. If there are any performance issues, you might want to report to them.

That said, the post you linked has a code block but doesn't indicate what language it's in. So highlight.js is doing it's best to automatically detect what it is and detected that it is some perl. That's why the code highlighting is a bit off.

As for the large number of <span> tags, if you have a better way to handle code highlighting in HTML, I'm sure they would be more than happy to hear about it :wink:

That's because you didn't properly close the [code] block with [/code]... You entered [code] so I fixed it in your post and it works just fine now.

1 Like

So it should default to no particular language, not to perl or any other language. Just use a real code (or pre) tag to produce HTML and copy the contents. No need for syntax highlighting, so no need for 3 dozen span tags either.

I'd rather not have any code highlighting at all. Personally, that is.

I was irritated, which led to making (a) mistake(s). Sorry about that.

That’s the thing. As no language was indicated the auto detect did its thing and failed to pick C++. It seems some parsers are better than other though as cpp would do a better job for the comment written that way

That was the point of my example above