a vehicle that remembers the route

Hi, everybody.

I have a question :slight_smile: I want do my Project, it will be a small automatic mower, but at first I start with the attitude. I want to build a vehicle that will be able to remember the route travelled and do not repeat.

I do not want that the vehicle have a terrain (square) and randomly bounce off the wall to the wall and drive randomly.

only to cover the entire area without harming the movement or at least minimise it.

it'd be great if it was a three-way trip on the dock, avoiding obstacles and making circles to reduce the surface area of the square to zero.

How to approach this? The best method is with gps? Or maybe ultrasonic sensors and a compass?

thx :slight_smile:

Klacik:
Hi, everybody.

I have a question :slight_smile: I want do my Project, it will be a small automatic mower, but at first I start with the attitude. I want to build a vehicle that will be able to remember the route travelled and do not repeat.

I do not want that the vehicle have a terrain (square) and randomly bounce off the wall to the wall and drive randomly.

only to cover the entire area without harming the movement or at least minimise it.

it'd be great if it was a three-way trip on the dock, avoiding obstacles and making circles to reduce the surface area of the square to zero.

How to approach this? The best method is with gps? Or maybe ultrasonic sensors and a compass?

thx :slight_smile:

I am willing to bet you can't do that with your eyes open and you expect to be able to program an Arduino to do it?

Paul

When I was a boy I put a stake in the middle of the lawn, tied a rope from the stake to the front of the lawn mower and set it going. It went round and round, the rope wrapped round the stake and pulled the lawnmower in. Simple.

In order to remember a route, a robot needs to know where it is and which direction it is traveling at all times. Then as the robot travels, it stores position and direction values at regular intervals.

Orientation is pretty easy, use an electronic compass. Therefore you need to figure out how to determine position, and what positional accuracy is required for your project.

GPS usually, but certainly not always, locates to within +/- 3 meters of the correct position, which is probably not good enough for a lawn mower.

Klacik:

A differential GPS would probably have enough position accuracy, here is an article I found on Google;

Autonomous Lawnmowers

Note the price tag for the GPS, $570, there are usage fees too I guess, for the receipt of the correction signals.

For the second part of your question, it has parallels to maze solving.
You could keep an array that corresponds to XY cells within your target area. Then as you cover each cell, cross it off the to-do list.
Maze logic can help you work toward the β€˜next’ cell to optimise your mow pattern.

Paul_KD7HB:
I am willing to bet you can't do that with your eyes open and you expect to be able to program an Arduino to do it?

Shouldn't that be "shut" ?

...R

Robin2:
Shouldn't that be "shut" ?

With eyes open it is hard enough! Especially when there's little difference in the length of the cut and uncut parts of the grass.

PerryBebbington:
When I was a boy I put a stake in the middle of the lawn, tied a rope from the stake to the front of the lawn mower and set it going. It went round and round, the rope wrapped round the stake and pulled the lawnmower in. Simple.

Love it!
Too bad it only works for circular lawns, and even then you have small bits uncut. Nothing is perfect, but this comes very close.

You could bury some cables and detect those for orientation or say a loop around the lawn.

Or just cut it yourself

Or just cut it yourself

Get a riding lawn mower, and a V8 engine. Find a Tim the tool man video, and make that mower REALLY move. A lot more satisfying...

PaulS:
Get a riding lawn mower, and a V8 engine. Find a Tim the tool man video, and make that mower REALLY move. A lot more satisfying...

I love the idea of a V8 on a lawn mower. Can I also chase people down with that?

Can I also chase people down with that?

Unless they are world class sprinters...

RabbitTheDevil:
I love the idea of a V8 on a lawn mower. Can I also chase people down with that?

The Amputator

How about making the mower static, and putting the lawn on a movable table under it, then simply repositioning the lawn as needed?

lastchancename:
How about making the mower static, and putting the lawn on a movable table under it, then simply repositioning the lawn as needed?

Not as daft as its sounds.

The Sapporo dome can move and rotate an entire football pitch, a mere lawn ought to be easy, even for an Arduino.

PaulS:
Unless they are world class sprinters...

I'm coming for you Bolt!