A way to detect page turns

Hi! I'm looking for a way to detect page turns from a physical book. It is similar to this project.

My book will be B5 [176 x 250mm], 25 pages, and unsure of the exact thickness. I am using an arduino uno, and bare conductive paint.

To display the content on screen I will be using Touch Designer, instead of front-end coding.

I would love to get your suggestions or advice! Thanks!

There is a big difference between being able to detect when a page is turned and know which page is selected. That link seems to have a means to identify the specific page but no details are given about how it is done.

If you just want to identify the current page so as to relate some computer stuff to that page then you could print a barcode on each page and the reader could scan any page s/he wanted to.

Using a PC (but not an Arduino) with a camera and OCR software you could read the page number or perhaps even identify the page by the text it contains.

...R

I really want to avoid the reader needing to do more than just turn the page, e.g. push a button, scan a barcode, etc. if possible. They have managed to do it somehow, I'm just trying to work out how.

Strain gauge on each page is about the only way I can think of doing it without clumsy external sensors.

There's probably a reason that the linked master's level work won all kinds of awards.

They have managed to do it somehow, I'm just trying to work out how.

The video in that link shows you how they did it.
They print the page with conductive ink and link each page to a chain of conductive thread down the spine. Each page taps into a unique point in that chain and then they read the resulting voltage on an A/D and hence work out the page.

Points to note, this is a specially prepared book not a normal one.

Grumpy_Mike:
Each page taps into a unique point in that chain

This is the part I don't really understand. How does that work exactly? Where is contact being made/broken when the page turns?

In the spiral binding.

But aren't all the pages constantly in contact with each other at the spine?

Stereotomy:
But aren't all the pages constantly in contact with each other at the spine?

No. Not on the page that is open.