A4 size dispenser mechanism

Hi, each morning our employee dispense a pack of lessons in A4 size to 600-700 people. The pages of the lessons are held together with a staple.
So we want to help her with a automatic system in order to speed up the distribution.

First of all, we think to use a vending machine, but we find the dispenser mechanism not adapted to the purpose and not fiable in the time (helicoidal screw). Have you any idea to other mechanism?

Else, we think to use some drawer mechanism... But we need to have 100 drawers at least, i don't now how to control the opening of each...

Thanks for your idea and your help
PS: sorry for my poor english, I'm french

Why don't you put the lessons in a pile and the students can take one from the pile as they pass?

Or, distribute them electronically, saving many trees?

The lessons are freely dispensed on internet, we are an association and we offer printing the lessons (at law cost) to students under the form of subscription. So we need to control who take the lessons (with a barecode).

The barecode system is ok but we don't know how to built an efficient A4 distribution system

With 600-700 people all with barcodes , there will be a lot of data to deal with , plus the problems if there is a mis-bind as money is involved.
The mechanical issues are problem . In my book a lot of development needed = too hard.
You could just roll up the lessons into a tube and put them in the vending machine and issue magnetic strip cards that give access .

There is no money involved directly, they by on our website their subscription, then with their student cart they can use separately the distribution system, with the barecode or rfid system. The database of the students and their informations is local and managed by a raspberry pi.
But this part isn’t the problem.

It’s really the A4 dispenser mechanism (manage by arduino or by raspberry) for witch we don’t find satisfactory and fiable solution.
it just have to relieve our employee, by dispensing about 100 lessons, not to replace her.

Thanks for yours answers!

lefgolas:
First of all, we think to use a bending machine,

Are the things to be dispensed all the same?

How about an honesty based system ?if you are printing out that many , does it matter and justify the project if a few are stolen ?

lefgolas:
Hi, each morning our employee dispense a pack of lessons in A4 size to 600-700 people. The pages of the lessons are held together with a staple.

Imagine that you have the all the "books" in a stack in a bin - like the things that hold plates in a restaurant with a spring to keep the top of the stack near the top of the bin.

Then could you use a robot arm with a magnetic pick-up to lift the "books" by attaching to the staple?

However I suspect @hammy's honesty system would be more practical. Things go wrong with machines.

...R

What about printing on demand? A raspberry pi with a touchscreen screen could allow students to enter their pin number, select the document to be printed, and this would be sent to a fast printer with stapling capability.

So you have more than 100 different lessons to be handed out every day, to a total 600-700 students? And I assume every student gets a number of different lessons at the same time? That'd be thousands of lessons to be handed out. That's a massive strain on any mechanical system, if only due to the sheer weight of all that paper.

The maintenance of the mechanical part alone is going to take a lot of time, unless you can find a ready commercial system, that is well tested for high volume use, and has a good service contract to keep everything up and running. If a single person can handle this now, it's not likely an automated system is going to be any faster.

I like the idea of a print-on-demand system, that may work. You'd still need a couple dozen printers, just to keep up with demand (those students will want their lessons now, not in a couple of hours). Students scan their bar code, the system knows which lessons they need for that day, and prints them out.

wvmarle:
(those students will want their lessons now, not in a couple of hours)

Waiting will punish them for killing trees!

Something along this line?

dougp:
Are the things to be dispensed all the same?

Yep all thing to be dispensed are the same (several same pile of lessons held together with a staple)

hammy:
How about an honesty based system ?if you are printing out that many , does it matter and justify the project if a few are stolen ?

Nop, we try but the papers and printing are nearly costing price, and if we do this nobody will take the subscription, all will take freely their lessons, if there is not control system

The printing system on demand isn't possible: in the morning we print on big printers very expensive nearly 700 stack of lessons

I'm really looking for a conveniant dispenser a4 system...

for newspapers, there is a place you lift the lid
reach in, and grab a paper.
the manual lifting could index the paper, that could be both the power source as well as the mechanics.
I missed how many different lestens, but one machine per lesson
or one door per lesson

I remember the ice cream machine. you put in your money and the ice cream would be on a rotating belt and would appear in the window, you had to reach in and grab it.

The post office puts a label over the ends so that they do not separate., so tape or some such would make it so you did not have to deal with loose papers. but student would have to deal with the tape.

but, with 700 sets of plans, someone will need to load the machine.

you might also fold it in half, then staple or tape. the fold would allow it to travel in a machine.

this is definately a mechanical problem.

lefgolas:
The printing system on demand isn't possible: in the morning we print on big printers very expensive nearly 700 stack of lessons

So you have in the end one set per student?

How many different sets would that be?

Seems an odd way to work :
When I went to school/university we used books and made our own notes, so we took in what was tought .
Why not print the years notes , call it a book and sell it at the year start to the students - you could get all that done cheaply , externally and bound . You might even make a profit.
When I was at Uni , for example, we had a commercial book we bought for maths - (written by a lecturer, available anywhere) you could even get secondhand ones .
Amazon will publish your own books like this , you can then throw all your printers etc away .

Books - it’s an idea that might catch on

I wonder if a cheap tablet would be more cost effective ?
today, cheap tablets screens are as large as a paperback book page
and you can WiFi the papers to them and WiFi the results back to the professor.