A4498 over heating problem.

Hello everyone,

I have the following setup:

1. Arduino Uno R3
  2. CNC Shield v3
  3. A4498 Stepper Driver w/100 ohm resistors (x2)
  4. Nema 17HS4401 Stepper Motors (x2)
  5. 12V-2A Wall Adapter

I set the potentiometer on drivers according the calculations I learned via tutorials. The issue is stepper drivers are over heating (I literally mean, burning like hell). They do not stop but you cannot touch aluminum heat sinks on drivers.

I solved it via connecting a mini fan over the shield but I feel that it is unecessary.

What am I doing wrong?

Forced air cooling is necessary when using those drivers at the edge of their specifications. If they get too hot they will shut down (built in thermal shutdown). DRV8825 drivers can handle a bit more current than A4988 drivers.

From what I have read, forced air cooling is more effective at removing heat than the stick on heat sink. Most of the heat dissipated is through the chip's leads and through the bottom of the PC board, less through the top of the chip. So air moving under the module is better than blowing on the top of the chip.

You have not told us how much current you are expecting the A4988 to deliver.

Post a link to the datasheet for your stepper motors.

It is normal for stepper motors and stepper motor drivers to get hot - uncomfortable to touch. If the driver overheats its internal circuits will shut it down.

...R

Here, :) http://www.datasheetcafe.com/17hs4401-datasheet-stepper-motor/

Reduce the current limit setting to 1 Amp, and the driver won't overheat.

jremington: Reduce the current limit setting to 1 Amp, and the driver won't overheat.

The datasheet says that the motor current is 1.7A. Will it at least move with 1A?

Francisco-Colli: The datasheet says that the motor current is 1.7A. Will it at least move with 1A?

Hopefully the OP will tell us in due course.

...R