A7 GPS/GSM module connection

Hello everyone!

I bought a A7 GPS/GSM Shield a while ago, now i just wanted to try it but cant figure out how to connect it…
It also is not really a shield as the pins arent in the right positions which means I ave to wire it manually…
Its this type of module:

Which pisns do I need to connect? I wanted to use the TinyGPS library with a basic gps test that is pre written in it.
I connected as follows:

Module GND - Arduino GND
Module PWR - Arduino 3.3V (at 5V it got really hot)
Module U_RXD - Arduino RX(0)
Module U_TXD - Arduino TX(1)

I dont receive any data though… What Am i doing wrong?

This is the example code im Using:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

#include <TinyGPS.h>

/* This sample code demonstrates the normal use of a TinyGPS object.
It requires the use of SoftwareSerial, and assumes that you have a
4800-baud serial GPS device hooked up on pins 4(rx) and 3(tx).
*/

TinyGPS gps;
SoftwareSerial ss(4, 3);

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(115200);
ss.begin(4800);

Serial.print("Simple TinyGPS library v. "); Serial.println(TinyGPS::library_version());
Serial.println(“by Mikal Hart”);
Serial.println();
}

void loop()
{
bool newData = false;
unsigned long chars;
unsigned short sentences, failed;

// For one second we parse GPS data and report some key values
for (unsigned long start = millis(); millis() - start < 1000;)
{
while (ss.available())
{
char c = ss.read();
// Serial.write(c); // uncomment this line if you want to see the GPS data flowing
if (gps.encode(c)) // Did a new valid sentence come in?
newData = true;
}
}

if (newData)
{
float flat, flon;
unsigned long age;
gps.f_get_position(&flat, &flon, &age);
Serial.print(“LAT=”);
Serial.print(flat == TinyGPS::GPS_INVALID_F_ANGLE ? 0.0 : flat, 6);
Serial.print(" LON=");
Serial.print(flon == TinyGPS::GPS_INVALID_F_ANGLE ? 0.0 : flon, 6);
Serial.print(" SAT=");
Serial.print(gps.satellites() == TinyGPS::GPS_INVALID_SATELLITES ? 0 : gps.satellites());
Serial.print(" PREC=");
Serial.print(gps.hdop() == TinyGPS::GPS_INVALID_HDOP ? 0 : gps.hdop());
}

gps.stats(&chars, &sentences, &failed);
Serial.print(" CHARS=");
Serial.print(chars);
Serial.print(" SENTENCES=");
Serial.print(sentences);
Serial.print(" CSUM ERR=");
Serial.println(failed);
if (chars == 0)
Serial.println("** No characters received from GPS: check wiring **");

I think you may have killed it.

I've not checked your image link, but the A7 needs 4 volts, not 5 or 3.3, and more importantly the signals from the Arduino need to be 2.8 volts maximum.

If your module has level shifters then you might have got away with it but the fact that it gets hot is not a good sign.

How can I check that? The Power LED is still running.

Also there is a regulator on the board, the Link (seller description) tells me to use 5-9V on the power pins.

In that case connect it up as per the bottom diagram (pins 3 & 4 on the Arduino). Load a simple serial relay onto the Arduino first so you can try talk to it using AT commands. Try changing the Software Serial baud rate to see if that makes a difference.

But how do I connect it?

Whats the GPS_TXD about? I dont get how thats supposed to work and there is to many TXD's and RXD's...

To be fair these are questions that you should be asking the vendor or manufacturer. What about their support forums? I don't have the board so I can't check to see where the traces are broken out.

True. Your right about that. The Thing is that I bought this in China as a “Shield” and had it laying in my drawer for a few month now until I noticed that it really isnt a shield.

I wrote the Vendor about the topic but im not sure if they will/can help me with it and there is no way to send it back now…

Im really surprised that I cant find any Information about this board as the cinese Boards are usually used a lot within the arduino community…

where able to use and resolve the A7 board issues? I have the same issues

I could not change communication rates between the arduino card and the module A7 GSM GPRS GPS
from 115200 to 9600
so unfortunately I can not now use the GPS GPRS GPS functions of the A7 module
I am the first time I use a GSM module
after several tentative and tests I can not operate the module A7 even the simple functions I need only to send and receive sms I buy this module because I did not find the other simple module) and unfortunately there are not many examples that demeter how it works
I did not understand anything

is there anyone who uses this A7 module before?

i have been using sim 800L ( the ones colored blue ) for sms and http functions for years now, never faced an issue at all

the module goes cheap at 6.88 usd at most on aliexpress , i send raw AT commands to it without a library except for SoftwareSerial.h

working pins for tx ad rx are 10,11 or 12,13 of uno, nano or mega ( i have tried them both of cause )