about to throw the uno in the trash-o

Hello,

I have had the official arduino uno r3 for a while and I have a serious problem it often doesn't find the com port and I can't upload sketches or use the serial monitor.

This happens at random times but it's about a 50/50 chance that it says it can't find the com port. I use an HP notebook PC running windows 7. I have tried many, many things. Resetting/restarting the computer and uno, disabling/re-enabling the driver, re-installing driver, disconnecting/reconnecting the USB, turning off other port devices. This is incredibly frustrating and I'm about to completely give up on all things Arduino and move on to something better made if it can't be fixed. Nothing has helped this, can you please help me.

Thank you.

Is it actually not detecting the com port, or does the com port just have a different number? Windows doesn't always give the same device the same COM number when you plug it in, but the IDE defaults to trying to use the last COM port you had selected. So if windows was giving it one of two numbers, and you never changed which port the IDE was pointed at, this would produce the behavior you're seeing.

Com port is selected from the tools -> port menu in the IDE.

Have you tried it on another computer?

You say it happens about half the time, is it stable when it does work? When it does connect run a program loop to communicate via serial and run for a long time. If it works, it is unlikely the Arduino at fault.

Weedpharma

I think the interface is not playing nice with Windows environment. What other platforms are you th
I am hinking?
aving a different issue. Kids lost all the interest in programming the board. I am not a lot experienced with computer side of the things and ready to move on to a better platform.

Any suggestions?

I have had the Uno on COM3. I have tried selecting other com ports from the IDE menu but it still doesn’t find them. I have tried changing the COM port by going to Device Manager / selecting “Arduino Uno (COM3)” rt click for properties, Port Settings tab, Advanced, and then there is a drop down menu for COM Port Number, I see it’s set to 3. The drop down menu shows ports from COM1 to COM256. The only one that says “In Use” is COM2, all the others have no comment. This is how it is normally, even when I have uploaded a simple sketch that constantly sends a text message to the serial monitor. When I check it then, port properties still shows only COM2 in use. This is with COM port 3 selected on the IDE. If I unplug the USB from the UNO, then in Device Manager, the “Ports (COM & LPT)” menu item is no longer displayed or available.

I am wondering is there some sort of protocol for disconnecting the usb cable from the uno? Normally when I unplug a USB device I eject it from the “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” icon in the system tray. But I don’t see anything for the UNO there, just my DVD drive, even when it is communicating via serial port. So I just pull the connector out of the UNO and nothing else happens in Windows except the “disconnect” sound.

When running the simple streaming text sketch, the connection doesn’t have a problem. This only happens when I’m attempting to upload a sketch or start the serial monitor. No I haven’t tried it on another PC, (mine is a Pavilion tx1308nr) I don’t have one but I might try that in the next few days.

I attached a screenshot of one instance of the problem. In this instance I tried to start the serial monitor, but it shows no ports are available, while device manager shows the Uno on COM3.

Thanks.

im with the OP on this one.
got an R3 about three weeks ago.
ONLY THIS MORNING was i actually able to write the blink sketch to it.
What a complete piece of rubbish it is.
open source .... thats just another term for 2 million solutions to one problem sort it out yourself.
atmel studio 7 JOKEEEEEEEE. just try googling how to set it up to work with an uno r3... or has nobody actually tried it successfully yet??? its all about v6 can you download v6 from atmel NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
i was advised arduino over PIC mmmmmmmmmmm really.
there are demos available for arduino ide1.6.6 yes BRILLIANT i can flash an led with a 555 timer and a lot less aggro.
where is the ability to set the internal clock of the 328p????????
oh yes in atmel studio7 ( as above try getting it to work with an uno r3 { next week im flying to the moon in a homemade rocket made out of toilet rolls and sellotape})
what an absolute JOKE
and dont even TRY the search the forum button cos it takes you back into google which I could have read from google and half if no 90% of the stuff it finds in search has NOTHING to do with the forum.
sorry to sound off and be negative but an easy to learn open source platform ( form wiki Arduino is an open-source prototyping platform based on easy-to-use hardware and software. Arduino boards are able to read inputs - light on a sensor, a finger on a button, or a Twitter message - and turn it into an output - activating a motor, turning on an LED, publishing something online.) that is certainly INCORRECT easy to use it certainly ISN'T easy to learn it certainly ISN'T mmm activating a motor well if its a low voltage VERY low power consumption that is useless then yes if not its going to need an h bridge, so FAIL on that statement too.

Blunt tools n all that.

not really. no i have to strongly disagree there Johnny010.
where is the documentation on the UNO site on programming the basics like a list of the simple instructions
Answer NOWHERE google it ( or look at a few examples that dont show you anything about the actual setup of the chip )
they cant even be bothered to put the software in the box you have to download it.
in all ARDUINO good if you just want to copy paste into an environment that is not even correct C let alone C+.
but rather useless if you want to learn to code..
then we come onto the bootloaders... please no lets not.. WTF just get the chip write the software and program the chip SIMPLES
if only.. noooooo lets build this board ( be warned though its hit and miss and only works intermittently ) to burn a bootloader into a nice shiney new 328P then cobble together some stuff that you downloaded. then spend about an hour getting pc to find the UNO because every time it decides it wants a different setting ( if it finds it at all) to flash an led on and off
WOWWWWWEEE im impressed i cant wait to build a webserver LMAO
oh yeah one question since when has PWM (Pulse Width Modulation ) been ANALOGUE. as far as im aware its always been digital ....... analogWrite() if you dont believe me.
Now what sort of example is that. its like saying to your kids that a proper three course meal is chocolate, mcdonalds, then a bag of sweets

I have had the official Uno R3 for just over a year. I am also a beginner with the device and not proficient in C. I have used it on numerous PCs and not had one problem that took more than a few minutes to sort out (other than my code).

There are millions of users out there with similar experience to mine.

"It is a poor workman that blames his tools."

Weedpharma

im not blaming the tools at all.
what i am saying is that the arduino is NOT a good learning platform.
too much "open source" or how many ways to boil an egg. in reality there is only ONE way to boil an egg. ( that is in saucepan of water over heat)
there may be millions of pages of stuff relating to the arduino but take a look and i mean READ the troubleshooting guide.
was it written by a five year old????
if none of the above works check out the internet
YEAH REALLY........
And find out what exactly? that you have the latest driver the latest software (YESSSSSS) and that hang on you need the latest driver and the latest software (yes ok i got that) and then hang on theres the problem.... i need the latest software and the latest driver ( that i installed already about ten times ) why does it not recognise it?
Because according to the wonderful internet of open source "gurus" i need the latest software and the latest driver.
ok lets get this straight. i need arduino IDE version 1.6.6 yep got that
i need the latest drivers .. yep windows found those and told me they were "up to date"
brillinat now i can get to work.
lets try the "Blink" example again ( er once in three weeks this has worked )
WOWWWWWWWW
Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 450 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM8": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

ok lets try again

Sketch uses 1,518 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8,183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

shall i try a third time??? yeah why not be a laugh wasting my time wont it.
ok it works.f>*k me
right lets try the basics/ bare minimum then to "wipe it"

Sketch uses 1,518 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8,183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.

REALLY one in four well i suppose its not "bad" is it.......... NO its not "bad" its "bloody terrible"

its the line

avrdude: ser_send(): write ERROR: sorry no info avail

thats just brilliant isnt it. ....... oh dear we haven't got a clue whats going on here and we dont feel like doing what you want so there you go try checking out the internet for open source answers. we cant tell you what exactly your looking for but heyyyyy never mind

Allen-EAV:
im with the OP on this one.
got an R3 about three weeks ago.
ONLY THIS MORNING was i actually able to write the blink sketch to it.
What a complete piece of rubbish it is.

What are you getting at? I have lots of Unos and I upload the sketches to them all the time. You must be doing something wrongly.

They've sold millions of them - they must work OK or no-one would buy them.

Did you buy a genuine one or did you save $20 and cause yourself $100 worth of trouble?

Allen-EAV:
what i am saying is that the arduino is NOT a good learning platform.

Teachers are ordering them in batches for classrooms. I think you have the wrong end of the stick there. The IDE is simple and easy to use. Maybe if you calm down and methodically work through the problem. Perhaps post a question here, rather than a rant.

You could try an earlier version of the IDE.

yes it is a genuine UNO r3.
problems are as listed above.
NOW if i knew what the problem was then i could probably solve it.

doesnt really help anyone does it. the help file is about as much use as reading the manual to concorde to try and figure it out.
Try an earlier version yup tried that and the pc wouldnt even recognize it as an arduino UNO r3. so thats not going to work.
as for teachers buying them in bulk YES i fully understand WHY . because they are lazy barstewards that cant be bothered to teach the unruley little dears anything they just want them to be quiet and play on the internet. ( and if they are learning to program these then its no wonder the world is in the state its in is it???)
as for calming down... i'm quite calm even after three weeks of this utter piece of garbage so far i have managed to upload the blink ( AKA HELLO WORLD) file ONCE now one sucessful upload in probably over a thousand is NOT in anyones eyes a good conversion ratio is it.

avrdude: ser_send(): write ERROR: sorry no info avail

so i tried as it suggested putting the verbose output on mmm even better i just got the blue screen of death for my trouble, so that got me absolutely nowhere either.
no settings have changed since i first started playing ( read playing VERY loosely) and it has only once succeeded. like i said earlier wow it flashes an LED IF it actually feels like uploading the file in the first place. any ideas on how to wipe it because now i am stuck with an arduino that flashes an led on pin 13.

( still no answer as to the PWM being an analogue output when PWM is actually digital though LMAO and kids are learning this!!!!!!!!!!! )
the IDE is NOT simple to learn or to use it is NOT correct C or C+ it is a VERY lazy platform that you cobble together from ( if you can A; find them and B; get them to upload C; thats if you actually manage to slim it down enough to fit into the memory)

Allen-EAV - what an ass you are, badmouthing something to no end because you have not had much much success yourself for whatever reason. Hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, have had just the opposite success and have enjoyed many successful projects.

Information you posted:

suggests you have a Mega and not an Uno, so you are not even consistent in your attempts to use the hardware & software.

No its defiantly an UNO ( well thats what it says on the box and the board ) bought from MAPLINS so not a clone off ebay
settings havent changed by me that is the IDE doing that one attempt its an uno then its a mega then its an uno again.
my settings are and always have been
TOOLS
BOARD:"Arduino/Genuino UNO"
COM port 8 ( or 9 depending which side i plug it in) { direct into pc NOT through hub}
PROGRAMMER:" Arduino as ISP

load a sketch example of basics "BLINK"
hit the upload button and there are the results. only ONCE has it actually uploaded it the rest of the time its just errors as per above
the IDE sees it as various different things depending what mood its in
now where have i gone wrong. can you explain it? cos i am stumped.

and the latest attempt at flashing the "Bare Minmum" sketch to erase the blink file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -hardware "C:\Users\Allen\Documents\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Allen\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10606 -build-path "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp" -warnings=all -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\untitled369140669.tmp\sketch_nov10a\sketch_nov10a.ino"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -hardware "C:\Users\Allen\Documents\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Allen\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10606 -build-path "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp" -warnings=all -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\untitled369140669.tmp\sketch_nov10a\sketch_nov10a.ino"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -M -MG -MP -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\sketch\sketch_nov10a.ino.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -M -MG -MP -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\sketch\sketch_nov10a.ino.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\sketch\sketch_nov10a.ino.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder\ctags\5.8-arduino2/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\preproc\ctags_target.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder\ctags\5.8-arduino2/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\preproc\ctags_target.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -Wall -Wextra -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\sketch\sketch_nov10a.ino.cpp" -o "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\sketch\sketch_nov10a.ino.cpp.o"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -c -g -x assembler-with-cpp -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino\wiring_pulse.S" -o "C:\Users\Allen\AppData\Local\Temp\build445ec0ca2392a66ede1d463999ab8ccb.tmp\core\wiring_pulse.S.o"

Allen-EAV:
...can you explain it? cos i am stumped.

Perhaps and/or probably. What do you normally do to engage others and make them interested in helping you out? Does this strategy work for you often?

no the strategy of getting totally peed off now with a useless piece of junk that does its own thing often tends to end up in the bin. and then i say exactly what i think
i get accused of not knowing what board i have then changing the settings which i have not.
makes me believe im afraid to say
A; the board is junk or US
B; the software is junk or US
C; the drivers are junk or US
or there is another issue somewhere. now after three weeks of trying to set this thing up ( by reading the very helpful million pages on the internet ( that seem to all contradict themselves ) and using what I see as the LOGICAL settings, that i am pretty confident my settings are correct which leads me to then believe that it must be either the hardware or the software.
when the software cant even come up with the same error twice in a row leads me to think that there is an issue somewhere either hardware wise or software wise.
yes it would be nice to get the same outputs as everyone else. try placing yourself in my seat and see how you feel about it after three weeks of getting nowhere ( well once i must admit i am sitting here at 4:45am watching an led flash on and off which i consider after three weeks of trying is pretty appalling really for something that is meant to be "easy to use and easy to learn".
normally i would start with the basics and then work up from there BUT when the basics dont even happen then WELL.................. here we are