Absolute beginner. Feasibility question.

Hello everybody.

I'm just getting into the Arduino game and I wanted to spend the next few months working on a project in my spare time, though I'm just not all that sure how feasibly it really is. Hopefully somebody here could point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to set up an Arduino with some kind of potentiometer to control audio like a scrubber. The pot I was looking at was this one from Proto-Pic.co.uk (http://proto-pic.co.uk/softpot-membrane-potentiometer-200mm/)

Ideally, I'd have it set up so that as you moved your finder along the strip, a short audio sample plays in time, and played in reverse as you moved your finger back the other way.

I'm a little out of my element at the moment, as I've never done anything like this before, but I'm in no rush to get it done so I'm looking forward to making it an on-going project.

Hopefully someone can tell me first if it is possible, and perhaps tell me where I should start? Thanks

as an optiomist, I think everything is possible except those transorters on Star-Trek.

to start any project, the best thing to do is gather all the data sheets lay out a rough idea of how your program would work then work with each piece.

in your case, get that pot, set up a row of LED's and get the feedback so you have an input and can see an output.

I can see the possibility of speeding up and slowing down the audio playback.

once you are at that point, the hard part will be to play back in reverse.

lots and lots of little goals

Thanks for the response!

I bought a started kit with my Arduino, and I've been playing around with a pot and a row of LEDs and I'm beginning to get a firmer grasp on it all. I'll try to do as you say and break it down into smaller goals. It will hopefully make the job seem a little easier!

off-topic

as an optiomist, I think everything is possible except those transorters on Star-Trek.

why not? there is no law of nature forbidding it AFAIK

read - http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view_group.php?id=2862 -

electricity was also considered untameable one day