AC and DC buttons

I have been trying to find buttons that are similar in size to the ones shown here:

The description states that the buttons are for AC. Will it be okay for me to purchase these and use it for my arduino or will it cause problems?

[edit]
I was thinking of using a latch button as an emergency stop button. The button will be between the 5V output and the rest of pins. I have to power a 16 x 2 LCD display and a servo motor.

It all depends on how much current you plan on passing through them. How do you plan on using them?

If you just use them to connect to the Arduino (aka, no high loads) your fine.

The DC rating of a switch usually is lower then the AC rating so I would not try to power more then 0,5A to 1A DC with them. But the very low power of switching an Arduino input pin or a led is fine.

Next time just reply to add to the question :slight_smile:

But that switch is not latching...

And what do you mean by "between the 5V output and the rest of pins". Which rest of pins?

"If you just use them to connect to the Arduino (aka, no high loads) your fine."

Not always the case. May switches (not those in the link) are made with Silver Oxide contacts and will corrode over time. They need at least 10mA to keep them happy. Switches specifically designed to switch "logic" levels will have GOLD contacts and you can't use them for high current.

If you want a robust solution, use a logic level Optocoupler such as the H11L2 and have the switch turn on the diode. Then, you can use the Internal Pullup on the Arduino. Of course there's a net inversion, so you have to complement at some point.

Here is a good discussion of switch contacts and their use as it pertains to Industrial Control:
http://50.244.15.10/techlib/Rockwell%20%20Automation/Rockwell_LowVoltContactBlock_800E_cut_D1200.pdf

An emergency stop button should never go to a logic system. It should shut down the entire system and any mechanical devices that are connected to it by removing all power.

@rmetzner49, you're right but then we're talking minimal specs instead of max. But unless you're using really massive switches I never had a problem with it. PCB tactical buttons don't use fancy materials (most of them) as well. And these are not mega big so I don't see a problem. I know, not best practice if you design a real/commercial system but fine for hobby projects.

But why on earth would you pass it trough a opto for no reason? Yes, I call pulling more current no reason :smiley: If you want more current, just use a bigger pull resistor.

Some of the systems I've designed were Automotive, so your comment regarding the Isolation works in YOUR case. If I'm looking at a 12V input for example, I would certainly feel better using the Opto as a level shifter. Besides, it gives you some noise immunity since a mere voltage spike from some coupled line wont turn on that Opto. With the Opto there, it's very unlikely 12V will meet an input pin. Letting the smoke out of your Cortex isn't that much fun to watch. The H11L2 I cited even has a bidirectional LED, so you can connect it through a resistor to 24VAC for example with only an adequate dropping resistor.