AC current sensor setup and connection to mains

Hello,

I am trying to measure the AC current through a load and i am using an ACS712 20A module with an Arduino UNO.

Here is the datasheet: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/BreakoutBoards/0712.pdf

1. Is the following setup OK? I figured it was better/safer to ask before i go ahead and connect it to mains. I am in Europe, and the mains here is 230 V and 50 Hz.

1. Is there a more practical load that i can use to test this setup? The bulb is just an example of a load. I plan to replace it with different types of devices depending on its application indoors or outdoors.

2. Can i leave this as a permanent setup to measure the current? I did some research and i found some discussions where it was not recommended to have this as a permanent setup and i can't understand why that would be a problem. My plan is to measure the current and set a threshold for the current consumed by the load, so the connection would be interrupted in case it exceeds the preset threshold.

Just FYI, the black wire at the bottom is dangerous as well.

lastchancename:
Just FYI, the black wire at the bottom is dangerous as well.

OK, thanks for the heads-up. It's my first time connecting an Arduino to mains voltage (hoping it won't blow up for whatever reason), so i'm willing to be extra careful. :slight_smile:

I see no evidence of an isolation slot under the IC therefore this wouldn't be considered 'safe'. Having the mounting holes where they are makes it even worse.

Be safe and use a current transformer rated for mains sensing. Search for 'open energy monitor'.

mikb55:
Be safe and use a current transformer rated for mains sensing. Search for 'open energy monitor'.

ACS712 is not a current transformer. it uses a different principle to measure the current (Hall Effect)

What i do not like about these board layout is that there are not 4 mounting holes.

I would highly recommend that you put it in a plastic enclosure.
Even a plastic box like used for candy.

I have a small fuse on my AC supply for testing. The inline type. Makes me feel better.