Acclerometer choice

Hi guys, I am new on this forum and I hope I'll have the time to write a thorough self-introductory post!

I am looking for an accelerometer for a project I am developing (an electric skateboard): I need to get acceleration in only 1 direction, and the output should be fairly precise. What accelerometer would you buy? Do you have any suggestion on what features to consider when buying such a sensor/ any recommendation on how to use it?

(btw, I am using an arduino UNO)

Thanks a lot guys!

If you want to have any precision at all with your IMU, you will need a navigation-grade IMU and will cost around $600 at least. If you use anything of lesser quality, your project will never work.

This is assuming that you are trying to measure distance traveled from acceleration data. Is this what you are trying to do?

Hi,

Well, there are several variations of accelerometers and MotionSensors, most of which are low cost...

See THIS DISCUSSION of many of the different types.

And, start with what you want/need to accomplish. Electrically powered skateboards have been made by many individuals and companies.

the output should be fairly precise

Define "fairly precise".

Modern consumer grade accelerometers are more or less equivalent in terms of sensitivity and range, but they keep improving. Pololu stays up with developments and has a good selection. The engineers support their products and provide working library code.

Well no, I just need to read the acceleration and use the data to make decisions on what to do. I have had an idea: if I manage to get live rpm data of the motor, I can derive from there the accelaration with some formula! Would it work?

Power_Broker:
If you want to have any precision at all with your IMU, you will need a navigation-grade IMU and will cost around $600 at least. If you use anything of lesser quality, your project will never work.

This is assuming that you are trying to measure distance traveled from acceleration data. Is this what you are trying to do?

Hi,

Would it work?

Probably, except for wheel slip !

caprabianca:
Well no, I just need to read the acceleration and use the data to make decisions on what to do. I have had an idea: if I manage to get live rpm data of the motor, I can derive from there the accelaration with some formula! Would it work?

Ok, in that case I'd just get an MPU6050. Should do the trick just fine.