accurate analog thumbstick

Hi guys,

I've been trying for a while to find an analog thumbstick which is more well made than the one sold by SparkFun (Thumb Joystick - COM-09032 - SparkFun Electronics). I find with this one that about 50% of the physical travel of the thumbstick is wasted, and doesn't actually affect the output of the pot.

Does anyone know of/has anyone used a joystick of similar dimension but of higher quality?

Tom

You might have more luck with this.

I've heard of projects using the original PSP's analog nub. You can find them salvaged from a PSP or some stock still exists of replacement parts.

I find with this one that about 50% of the physical travel of the thumbstick is wasted, and doesn't actually affect the output of the pot.

You may be right, but have you confirmed that with [u]Analog Read[/u]?

You might have a software problem a perception issue... Audio pots have a logarithmic taper because a linear volume control doesn't sound linear, and linear LED dimming doesn't appear linear either.

DVDdoug:
You may be right, but have you confirmed that with [u]Analog Read[/u]?

You might have a software problem a perception issue... Audio pots have a logarithmic taper because a linear volume control doesn't sound linear, and linear LED dimming doesn't appear linear either.

No, OP is right. That is how the basic thumb joysticks work - they aren't supposed to travel until the mechanical hard stop. They are meant to stop by means of the enclosure (i.e. case on an XBox controller).