ACS712 Current Sensor

Hello everyone. I am working on a small project with a relay, a lamp and an ACS712 current sensor. The point is that I want to open the circuit using the relay when the sensor read a value above 2 amps, this condition will happen when I short with R1 = 0 ohms. The ATMEGA 2560 operates at 16MHz with an external crystal. My question is, is it possible to do that? Will the IC be fast enough to take action before any component is damaged? Attached I leave my diagram, it is only for explanatory purposes.
Thank you in advance. Have a nice day

acs712.jpg

AtMega is fast to react in 1-3 usec , ACS712 in about 100-125 usec, relay in 1-10 milliseconds (!).
As you can see, common mechanical relay is the slowest part to be worried about. And it could be damaged by high current.

Thanks MasterT. I've been thinking that the speed that takes the short to reach a lot of ampere is greater than the reaction of the circuit.

laubia:
Thanks MasterT. I've been thinking that the speed that takes the short to reach a lot of ampere is greater than the reaction of the circuit.

Exactly. To solve this problem, you need to slow down a current and find a fast circuits breaker. Inductors come to mind , when slew rate has to be limited.