activate lights when certain music plays

Hi,

need advice on whether or not this is possible at Arduino level and if so what methods may be used.

I want to create a device that activates LEDs when a certain piece of music plays. Activating the LEDs is not an issue and I could probably manage a device that syncs lights to music but I am not sure how I would recognize a certain piece of music.

Any help and suggestions welcomed.

Not possible for an Arduino.

Have your music player send a signal to the Arduino telling which piece is playing.

Or, probably easier, have the Arduino instruct your music player to play a specific song.

Grumpy_Mike:
Not possible for an Arduino.

Do you think it is possible with other MCUs like the teensy or would it required more powerful resources?

wvmarle:
Have your music player send a signal to the Arduino telling which piece is playing.

Or, probably easier, have the Arduino instruct your music player to play a specific song.

I am starting to think this may be the only way but would ideally like a stand-alone device that listens for the music.

You would need much more powerful hardware. A Pi perhaps: How to auto-detect a song currently playing in a room? - Raspberry Pi Forums

You're thinking of Shazam?

That even a RPi has no chance of pulling off. Apple no doubt has quite a server park dedicated to this.

Even if limiting yourself to a handful of possible tracks would make it quite a challenge. Not in the least due to the inevitable distortion due to the playing and then recording by microphone of the music, mixed with whatever background noise there is.

Maybe you could adapt something crude and inaccurate from an arduino voice recognition project to recognize a word or beat. Most use a dedicated voice recognition module. Searching on the interwebs for "Arduino voice recognition" pulls up some examples.

Arduino's Project Hub also has a few different voice recognition projects.

surveyranger:
Maybe you could adapt something crude and inaccurate from an arduino voice recognition project to recognize a word or beat. Most use a dedicated voice recognition module. Searching on the interwebs for "Arduino voice recognition" pulls up some examples.

Arduino's Project Hub also has a few different voice recognition projects.

Thanks. I will give it a try.