Activate reed switch remotely with low-power?

Hi
I've got an action camera that I would like to control remotely (the remote control part is a later problem), but for that, I need to activate a reed-switch that it has.
I can easily start the recording by swiping a small magnet across (and hold it) on a certain place on the camera.

I've thought about 2 technics so far:

1. Using a small servomotor that has a magnet clued to a arm and run the servo-arm above the reed-witch.
  2. Take a electromagnet from a relay and put it over the reed-witch (tried it, but couldn't get enough force with low power)

The servo-thing will look a bit clumsy, so I would rather have another way of doing it.
Is there some other ways of solving this problem I have?

Best regards
Niclas

It seems that the particular relay you tried had a solenoid that was too weak, but the general approach seems sensible. Find out how strong a magnet is needed to operate the switch reliably, and then look for a solenoid that has a similar strength.

How does the reed switch connect to the camera? Could it be bypassed?

Paul

PaulRB:

Paul

If this is possible, you could probably easily just put a relay in parallel with the switch and maintain the same functionality as before.

PeterH:
It seems that the particular relay you tried had a solenoid that was too weak, but the general approach seems sensible. Find out how strong a magnet is needed to operate the switch reliably, and then look for a solenoid that has a similar strength.

Ok, I will look more into it.

PaulRB:

Paul

It could be bypassed, but then I have to void the warranty :confused:

Thanks
/Niclas

Does the camera also have some kind of IR remote control? Maybe that's a better approach, given the warranty situation.

Nope, no IR, but it has Bluetooth remote capabilities from an iPhone app, but I think that way is too complicated to go for.
The iPhone app isn't what I want, I want to be able to control my camera from arduino.

Arduino can use bluetooth...