Adafruit Atmega32u4 Breakout Board with Arduino IDE

I have the Adafruit Atmega32u4 Breakout Board, I burnt the Arduino Leonardo but I obtain this error when I try to upload a new firmware (just a blink example):

Software Version = 
.?; No Hardware Version given.

avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: write block

I'm using Ubuntu

Are you uploading a sketch, or burning a bootloader ? When you are uploading a sketch, do you know of that breakout board has the Leonardo bootloader ?

Peter_n: Are you uploading a sketch, or burning a bootloader ?

I'm uploading a sketch

Peter_n: When you are uploading a sketch, do you know of that breakout board has the Leonardo bootloader ?

I only have one board, and it have the Leonardo bootloader.

I noticed a small difference between Arduino Leonardo an Adafruit Atmega32u4 Breakout Board, at Arduino Leonardo the Atmega32u4 HWB pin is directly to GND but in Adafruit Atmega32u4 Breakout Board the HWB ping is conected to GND, 10k resistor and VCC.

So both are connected to GND ?

You could run ‘avrdude’ from the command line. The option -vvv shows a lot information.

Can you try it on another computer ? and use also another usb cable.

When the bootloader is bad, you have to use a programmer (or ArduinoISP) to burn a new bootloader on it.

Peter_n: So both are connected to GND ?

Yes, both are conected to GND

Peter_n: You could run 'avrdude' from the command line. The option -vvv shows a lot information.

Where can I see the correct and complete avrdude command?

Peter_n: Can you try it on another computer ? and use also another usb cable.

Was tested in two computers

Peter_n: When the bootloader is bad, you have to use a programmer (or ArduinoISP) to burn a new bootloader on it.

I burnt the bootloader several times.

Also sketches works fine if I upload with an ISP progammer

Here is the avrdude output:

[b]avrdude -vvv -q -q -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build7563221929840059719.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i[/b]

avrdude: Version 5.11.1, compiled on Oct 30 2011 at 10:41:10
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyACM0
         Using Programmer              : avr109
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       1024    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
         Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Sometimes appear:

Connecting to programmer: .

last time avrdude show:

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "CATERIN"; type = S
.?; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x44

avrdude: devcode selected: 0x44
avrdude: safemode read 1, lfuse value: ff
avrdude: safemode read 2, lfuse value: ff
avrdude: safemode read 3, lfuse value: ff
avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as FF
avrdude: safemode read 1, hfuse value: d8
avrdude: safemode read 2, hfuse value: d8
avrdude: safemode read 3, hfuse value: d8
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as D8
avrdude: safemode read 1, efuse value: cb
avrdude: safemode read 2, efuse value: cb
avrdude: safemode read 3, efuse value: cb
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as CB
avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: write block

And original blinking led (that came with bootloader) doesn't work anymore.

So once the sketch or bootloader is written with a programmer, that parts runs okay ? Do you use the newest Arduino IDE (1.0.6 or 1.5.8 ) ? and do you burn the bootloader from within the Arduino IDE (that will also set the fuses and so).

I don't know what it is. It seems like some timing/noise/voltage problem. But a good usb cable should be enough to prevent that. Perhaps that breakout board has a problem. Can you return it and get a new one ?

I use the cheap USBasp programmers from Ebay, they have sometimes timing issues. But I don't get that block write error.

Peter_n: So once the sketch or bootloader is written with a programmer, that parts runs okay ?

Yes, then it runs fine.

Peter_n: Do you use the newest Arduino IDE (1.0.6 or 1.5.8 ) ? and do you burn the bootloader from within the Arduino IDE (that will also set the fuses and so).

I'm using the 1.0.5 Arduino IDE version, I'm also burning the bootlader from Arduino IDE

Peter_n: I don't know what it is. It seems like some timing/noise/voltage problem. But a good usb cable should be enough to prevent that. Perhaps that breakout board has a problem. Can you return it and get a new one ?

Unfortunately I can't return it, but I think that can I can solve the problem

Peter_n: I use the cheap USBasp programmers from Ebay, they have sometimes timing issues. But I don't get that block write error.

I'm using a Sparkfun pocket AVR programmer.

I tested it in another computer and works fine.

Then there is something with the usb inside the computer that doesn't like the Arduino board or the Sparkfun programer. Are there other usb ports ? For example if you used the front usb ports, you can try the usb ports on the back. But I doubt if the problem can be found. There is something that is not compatible.

Peter_n: Then there is something with the usb inside the computer that doesn't like the Arduino board or the Sparkfun programer. Are there other usb ports ? For example if you used the front usb ports, you can try the usb ports on the back. But I doubt if the problem can be found. There is something that is not compatible.

My laptop only have 2 usb ports, all other Arduino boards work fine (UNO, Duemilanove, Mega...)

I have one last idea: Do you have a powered usb hub ? After the hub, the usb signals are fresh and new. If you don't have a powered usb hub, you can try a normal usb hub.