Adafruit Flora - Sketch Uploading Issues

I recently purchased an Adafruit Flora micro controller and I'm trying to run some tests on it. I'm using code from here to test it out. I'm currently using Adafruit AVR Boards v1.4.13 and I purchased my board from Amazon. However, more often than not, the IDE fails to upload to the micro controller. I get a wide variety of errors ranging from:

avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: set addr
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega32U4 is 1E 95 87
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

...or...

Wrong microcontroller found.  Did you select the right board from the Tools > Board menu?

It also appears as multiple ***failed; lines

Other times, the code will successfully upload to the micro controller, and I'm not sure why.

d-marrs:
Other times, the code will successfully upload to the micro controller, and I'm not sure why.

do you have a good usb connection? i have some that make good contact for power, but not data

gcjr:
do you have a good usb connection? i have some that make good contact for power, but not data

I've tried multiple mini USB connectors and still got the same results. What am I looking for in a good USB connection?

You should check if that chip is okay. One way is parallel programming. You should have another working Arduino for that.

Connect the pins like this
Arduino - Flora
5V - 5V
GND - GND
D13 - D13
D12 - D12
D11 - D11
D10 - RST

And upload the ArduinoISP example sketch on the programmer Arduino. Then make sure that Arduino is connected to the PC while programming. The Flora board shouldn't be connected to the PC. The Flora board should also power on when you connect the USB to the programmer Arduino. Now go to Arduino IDE, select the port of programmer Arduino, select the board as Flora, and click on burn bootloader. If it gets an error, then double check all connections and do it again. This would tell if the Flora is working or not. Please do this ant tell what you get.

..Arnav

Typing in the following fixed everything. Apparently, it's a common issue with programming chips with an Atmega32u4 processor on Linux.

sudo apt-get purge modemmanager