Adafruit Motor Shield v1 - flipping the bits yourself

Hi all,

I want to drive a "5-phase bipolar" Vexta stepper motor. This isnot your run-of-the-mill 5-wire unipolar stepper, it is a 5-wire bipolar stepper.

I figure I can use an Adafruit Motor Shield v1 (using all of one L293, and 1/4 of the second L293) to drive it. However... I obviously can't use the Adafruit motor shield library, I would have to hack my own.

Anyone know which bits to flip to energize each phase, in each direction?

Thanks.

Its dead easy, the L293D has 4 identical half-bridge sections, each with an input and an output. So you drive 5 inputs from the 2 chips with the appropriate pattern - there are
many patterns possible with a 5-phase motor and first you have to work out the
phase sequence - hopefully just a case of chasing the resistance readings with a multimeter.

You need to know the correct cyclic order.

I would suggest one possible pattern is:

But one question: what is the current rating and winding resistance?

PS: don't forget the enable pins need to be enabled!

MarkT, If the adafruit motor shield v1 is used to run 2 identical dc motors, does it not make a difference if the motor is attached to two different L293D drivers? (Is the only difference heat?)

Lowtiercomputer:
MarkT, If the adafruit motor shield v1 is used to run 2 identical dc motors, does it not make a difference if the motor is attached to two different L293D drivers? (Is the only difference heat?)

That is not the question being asked here, but as I said the L293D is 4 identical half-H-bridges. They have enable pins per pair of half-H-bridges however, so if you drive
the enable pins you are best treating the chip as 2 H-bridges.