Adafruit Motorshield V2 + Bipolar Stepper Motor

Hi Everyone!

I’m new to Arduino but not a total electronics noob - I took apart a scanner and am trying to use the bipolar stepper motor on the scanner part as a camera slider. I have it hooked up to my motor shield and can get it to go backwards and forwards on the slider. I am not very good with the Arduino programming, so I basically just loaded the stepper test example sketch.

Here’s my problem - I cannot control the speed of the motor what so ever. There are a few parameters I think I need help with. I was able to use a unipolar stepper without the shield no problem, but I needed the motor controller for the Bipolar motor, and the coding for the shield seems/has been much more tricky for me.

So what I need help with - frequency in the notes in the example it says default is 1.6hz? basically any setting but default makes mine go weird RPM I change this parameter all the way from 1 - 1000 and it seems to have no effect Steps I know its either 200/600/800 and I have seen a different behavior in the motor when I change this value, but it doesn’t seem to effect the speed that much.

Obviously the microsteps are smoothest, but any other setting and it vibrates like hell, still moving slow

If someone could step me through figuring out this motor? or write me a quick sketch that will work that would be awesome. I just bought the motor shield yesterday so I definitely need to learn how to use it better.

Thanks everyone!

Can’t help you unless you post your code.

A diagram of how you have everythig wired, and details of your stepper motor power supply would also help.

Have you looked at the AccelStepper library which is a lot more comprehensive than the basic Stepper library.

I do so wish those motor shields were not advertised for controlling stepper motors. A proper stepper motor driver such as the Pololu A4988 is so much easiser to use and much more capable.

…R

Please provide links / datasheets for everything you can, or if no datasheet available for the motor then the number of wires and the winding resistance (multimeter).