adafruit motorshield

I believe im in the right place for this question. I have an adafruit motorshield L293D that can control stepper motors. However, my problem is that I cannot seem to control a pot with the stepper as long as the stepper is in the marked terminals. I can of course set it up with the digital pins on the shield, but that is just as if I were to use the UNO alone without the shield. In other words, if I have to use the digital pins, which i get are digital and hence allow me to control the stepper, then what is the purpose of the shield? Are the terminals only for pre-programmed motor movement? can they never be used with a pot?

However, my problem is that I cannot seem to control a pot with the stepper as long as the stepper is in the marked terminals.

What do you mean by "control a pot"?

I can of course set it up with the digital pins on the shield, but that is just as if I were to use the UNO alone without the shield.

What is "it"? Which digital pins are you using/able to use?

Paul, i want to control the stepper with a pot.

"It" refers to the stepper. Which I currently have connected to pin 2, 3, 4, and 5. Which allows me to control the stepper with the pot.

The terminals on the shield are m3 and m4.

The terminals work just fine, as long as I preprogrammed what I want the stepper to do. The library does not define keywords(that I can find) that allow me to use a pot to control the stepper.

My question, is does anyone know this library or keywords to allow me to use the terminals and control the stepper with a potentiometer?

I still don't know what you mean by "control the stepper with a pot". You can read a potentiometer-controlled voltage using an analog pin. You get a number in the range 0 to 1023. What you do with that value is up to you.

What are you intending to use that value for? To define the number of steps? The delay between steps? Those are the only aspects of driving a stepper that you have control over.

The terminals work just fine, as long as I preprogrammed what I want the stepper to do.

Using what code?

The library does not define keywords(that I can find) that allow me to use a pot to control the stepper.

My motorcycle doesn't allow me to control it using the length of a tuna sandwich, either.

1 Like