Adafruit RFM96W LoRa Radio init failed

I've bought two Adafruit RFM96W 433 MHz LoRa modules. On Adafruit's own website, they've shown how these modules should be connected, and I've connected them exactly as shown.

On the next page of the tutorial, they recommend the use of the RadioHead library, which I've downloaded and placed in the library folder.

Next, they suggest to run the example sketch RadioHead69_RawDemo_TX. It compiles, and it uploads. But when I open the Serial Monitor, all I ever see is

Feather RFM69 TX Test!

RFM69 radio init failed

I've tried with both modules, and both modules result in the same error. What am I doing wrong?

OZ1SEJ:
What am I doing wrong?

You have a RFM96W and your using code for a different module, the RFM69 ?

Ah! I see now that they've blended the RFM69 and the RFM9x tutorials into one, so some pages are for the RFM69 and other pages are for the RFM9x. Thank you!

But I'm a little concerned when I get to this page: CircuitPython for RFM9x LoRa | Adafruit RFM69HCW and RFM9X LoRa Packet Radio Breakouts | Adafruit Learning System

Can I use the RFM9x radio with an Arduino Uno, or is that impossible? In the example sketch, there are definitions for feather32u4, feather m0, shield, esp8266, esp32, nrf52 and teensyduino, but not for Arduino Uno...?

OZ1SEJ:
Ah! I see now that they've blended the RFM69 and the RFM9x tutorials into one, so some pages are for the RFM69 and other pages are for the RFM9x. Thank you!

But I'm a little concerned when I get to this page: CircuitPython for RFM9x LoRa | Adafruit RFM69HCW and RFM9X LoRa Packet Radio Breakouts | Adafruit Learning System

Can I use the RFM9x radio with an Arduino Uno, or is that impossible? In the example sketch, there are definitions for feather32u4, feather m0, shield, esp8266, esp32, nrf52 and teensyduino, but not for Arduino Uno...?

Thats the page for CircuitPython, which your not using.

You need to find Adafruits tutorial for RFM9x on Arduino.

Well, there's a reasonable explanation for everything. Thank you for spotting this! :slight_smile:

What contributed to my confusion was the fact that the RadioHead library recommended by Adafruit contains no examples for Arduino, but this page contains code that worked for me.

Thanks again!

The RadioHead library is for Arduino and contains examples for both the RFM69 and the RFM9x.

https://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/