Adafruit_TFTLCD does not name a type

I am pleased that I got a blinking LED working within minutes of plugging in my new Arduino. Until now I've used the Raspberry Pi for my projects, and FPGAs in an academic setting. I hope that you'll welcome me as a "switcher", rather than flame me for my ignorance. Yes, I have searched the forum. No, existing answers didn't help.

The primary reason I bought my Arduino Uno R3 was to use a TFT LCD shield. Eventually I plan to make it work on the RPi, but for now I want to test it on the Arduino itself. Markings read: Hiduino 2.4" TFT LCD Shield, http://www.womarts.com.

I began following the Adafruit tutorial Overview | 2.8" TFT Touch Shield | Adafruit Learning System for using an LCD, and downloaded the library from GitHub - adafruit/TFTLCD-Library: Arduino library for 8-bit TFT LCDs such as ILI9325, ILI9328, etc. I've tried 3 versions of the Arduino for Mac (1.0.3, 1.0.2, 0023), and every time, I get the following error when compiling graphics test:

Adafruit_TFTLCD does not name a type

I know that means I have a problem with my libraries, but all of the files are in the right place. I've moved those files around every way I can imagine, and I now give up. Therefore I'm asking for help. I've seen other threads on this forum flaming noobs. I've read what scant documentation I can find. If you just tell me to RTFM, I'll return the Arduino and its LCD next weekend, and keep searching the market for a Raspberry Pi LCD. Please be constructive and helpful, or simply don't reply to my thread. I hope that someone in this forum is willing to help, patiently, and encourage me that this project is possible.

Peter