ADC Recommendation

Hi,

I'm looking for an affordable 16 or higher bit alternative to the ADS1115 or AD7705 with gain amp, as these two have a fairly low SPS of around 800/500.
There's a few on ebay, but just the chips, not sure how much additional work is required with these.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi abbazappa,

You should check in electronic components suppliers first. I would recommend Digikey (I made a quick search for ADC’s with >16 bit and >1 kSps here). You can also serach in farnell or mouser.

What do you mean with “just the chips”? Do you need a development board? You may also find those in the webpages I told you above.

Thanks, just thought maybe there's a popular chip with a few diy project pages.

You did not mention how much resolution you need, but Adafruit offers a 12 bit ADC that can handle up to 3300 SPS.

I have the 16 bit ADC on order. It is maxed out at 800 SPS, but that is all I need.

AD7680, www.proto-advantage.com will order the part from Digikey.com and install it onto a DIP adapter for you for the price of the chip, the adapter, and a couple of bucks for the install.

I used it in this thread here to sample 16 bit audio and store to SD card at 44.100KHz rate - member fat16ib was the genius behind the coding for it.

The AD7680 looks interesting. Only drawback, seems it doesn't have a PGA. I have a very small voltage range to measure.

The AD7190 is a 24-bit ADC with PGA (up to 128 gain) and sample rate up to 4.8kHz. Analog sells an evaluation board for it. But you didn't say what sample rate you needed.

If you go to the link in post #1, you can do your own searches for ADCs with PGAs (scroll to the right to see more of the filters).

Thanks guys, for now I've ordered a PSoC 5LP, got 20bit sigma-delta (48k sps at 16bit) and 12bit SAR and lots of programmable analog and digital peripherals,all integrated with an ARM-M3.

abbazappa:
Thanks guys, for now I've ordered a PSoC 5LP, got 20bit sigma-delta (48k sps at 16bit) and 12bit SAR and lots of programmable analog and digital peripherals,all integrated with an ARM-M3.

Its an audio ADC, doubt it handles DC at all. It only supports audio sample rates being the clue.

That chip also has 2 12-bit SAR ADCs.

You need an SPI ADC that's not for audio I suspect.

[ actually delving around the datasheet it does say the delta-sigma is good for measurement
applications, sorry to be pessimistic above! ]