Add External antenna to AT09 bluetooth module

Does anyone know if I can add an external antenna (to boost range) on an AT09 module? Has anyone ever done it?

Tx

Marciokoko:
Does anyone know if I can add an external antenna (to boost range) on an AT09 module? Has anyone ever done it?

Tx

What kind of 2.4 GHz antenna are you considering?

Paul

Is it legal to add an external antenna ?

srnet:
Is it legal to add an external antenna ?

Certainly, Google "build bluetooth antenna" and see all the possibilities that have been built.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Certainly, Google "build bluetooth antenna" and see all the possibilities that have been built.

Paul

So what is the typical ERP of a Bluetooth device and what is the legal ERP limit ?

I appreciate limits can vary around the World.

I have searched for "add external antenna bluetooth at09" and found how to add it to hc05 and 06, but no at09.

But what Im wondering about is, if I can get 50m with the at09 module and its built in antenna, by plugging in a better antenna, how much more range will I get until it needs more power to keep increasing range (which requires a different module, not just a bigger antenna)?

Unless you know what you are doing (and I don't) 2.4GHz antennas are a kind of magic.

...R

Robin2:
Unless you know what you are doing (and I don't) 2.4GHz antennas are a kind of magic.

...R

Oh really? Remember when wifi first came out and people were using Pringles cans to make antennas to steal wifi from the neighbors?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Oh really? Remember when wifi first came out and people were using Pringles cans to make antennas to steal wifi from the neighbors?

Exactly my point.

We never heard about the ones that did not work.

...R

Robin2:
Exactly my point.

We never heard about the ones that did not work.

...R

So true. Also true, we seldom find anyone willing to experiment. But many afraid to even try.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
we seldom find anyone willing to experiment. But many afraid to even try.

Agreed. Rightly or wrongly I have been assuming that the OP wants to be told that X will work reliably without the need for experiment and possible failure. (Otherwise why not experiment before posting a question?)

...R

Hahaha! You guys are funny.

What i want to know is how to add thr antenna. I'll do it myself but I need to know where to connect it on the module.

That module appears to have an internal microstrip antenna, so adding an external antenna will be extremely difficult if you want to see any real improvement.
You would have to cut the existing antenna on the board , install some kind of micro coaxial connector on the board, and then figure out how to match the characteristic impedance of what ever external antenna you choose to the onboard transmitter.
Its far easier to simply buy a module which is already designed for an external antenna.

Marciokoko:
What i want to know is how to add thr antenna.

I suspect that question should really be read as

What i want to know is how to add an external antenna so that I get reliable wireless transmission over a longer range

and if so, the stuff that you call "funny" is our attempt to tell you it is not easy to do and it may well result in worse performance.

...R

It's funny to me because you "assumed" I wasn't willing to work. What I needed was to be told if it was possible to add an external antenna such as some communication modules that have a pad where you can solder an antenna to at which point I was going to begin testing antennas.

It's ok, I decided to move on. Thanks

Marciokoko:
It's funny to me because you "assumed" I wasn't willing to work.

That was certainly never part of my assumption.

My concern was (and remains) that you might put in a lot of effort and get no benefit from it. - just damaged Bluetooth devices.

...R

Indeed what i was trying to avoid Robin. Thanks again! Have a great one!

I stopped responding because you gave no hint you had neither a plan to determine the radiation pattern of the current antenna and any replacement, nor did you have even the minimum equipment to determine the same. The minimum equipment would be a meter to evaluate the radiation from a microwave oven or a similar field strength meter. And a plan would have been to measure the radiation from the antenna with the meter a certain distance from the board and rotate the board 360 degrees while doing measurements.

Then move the meter another fixed distance away and repeat the exercise. Continue until you can draw a graph showing the path where the radiation value is consistent. Then you can change the antenna and repeat the exercise. Is the graph showing a signal strength that is further away from the antenna? If not, try another antenna configuration.

This is how you add an antenna to help resolve a distance problem.

Do you want to continue?

Paul