Adding an LCD to a small plastic toy

Hi All!

I'm fairly new to Arduino, I was wondering someone can help me with a project.

I'm trying to take a small toy and add an LCD. Is there a way to do this without using a breadboard and having my Arduino plugged into my computer all the time? What other components would I need?

Thank you!

Get the prototype working and tested using a breadboard then move the project to "perf board" like this 32PCS Double Sided PCB Proto Perf Board Through Plated 2x8 3x7 4x6 5x7 cm | eBay or even consider having a PCB made to your design

The project can be powered by batteries to avoid the need to connect it to a PC

@UKHeliBob Thank you for the information, could you share a YouTube video with someone building something like what you say? im a visual learner and it would be very helpful.

Have a nice day!

Which part of the process do you want help with ?

@UKHeliBob I appreciate anytime you spend helping.

So far, I'm going to find the proper size PCB Perf Board to place inside the toy. now on that board, what other kind of components do I need, I know a resistor, transistor, something else? I was hoping to power it using the battery that already powers the plastic toy if possible.

You need no more components when using the perf board than you do when you use a breadboard. The perf board takes the place of the breadboard and soldering makes the construction more permanent

In what way does the Arduino interact with the toy and how is it powered ?

Which Arduino are you aiming to use ?

@UKHeliBob So basically, I have a toy that takes 4 doubles AA batteries and the toy has one button. When I press the button it makes a noise and a light goes off in the front of the toy. I have an Arduino UNO, and all I want to do is have the LCD display text when the button is pressed.

Are the batteries rechargeable ?

I ask because if not then they will provide 6V when new which can be an awkward voltage for the Arduino. Too much to feed directly to its 5V pin and not enough to feed to its onboard voltage regulator but not the end of the world. One solution would be to use a buck converter to increase the voltage supplied to the Arduino to say 8V and feed its voltage regulator with that but other methods are available

A Uno sounds like overkill, at least in size, to do what you want. Smaller Arduinos such as a Nano would make the perf board solution much easier and neater

Of more concern is reading the button on the toy. It is likely that one side of it is connected to either the negative (GND) or positive battery supply. Thus, when closed, the other switch contact will be taken to GND or positive. Are you able to establish how the switch is wired ?

@UKHeliBob the batteries are not rechargeable, if you think it helps I can open up the toy and send you pictures?

Pictures will almost certainly not help. You need to determine how the switch is wired for yourself

@UKHeliBob okay, I will do that, and come back to the forum to discuss it with you. Thanks for all your help so far, Have a nice day. Talk soon!

Why, just why do people make such peculiar suggestions? :woozy_face:

Maybe to keep the explanation simple

If you are going to quote my post then please do not cherry pick

I think the "other methods" should feature first and using a boost converter to be regulated down by a linear regulator to less than the starting voltage should be the last of all.

Powering the Arduino is the least of @zenpreme's problems I suspect. Once he/she has go the project working on a breadboard and powered from the PC then powering it standalone will come to the fore and no doubt you will have suggestions as to how that should be done

A series diode comes to mind. :grin:

Or a 3v3 pro mini and 3v3 i2c LCD.