Adding boards (CH340) to a portable installation

Howdy all,

I followed https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE#toc4 and have a portable installation. Does anyone know how to add boards to the portable instance?

I have the install files for the CH340 but it's an exe file.

Can I copy to directory (and which one) from my standard install to get these to appear in the portable?

Thank you.

The CH340G drivers must be installed on the system, regardless of whether you are using portable or normal installer.

Once they have been installed, no additional step is needed to make them work with the IDE, regardless of how it is installed.

Third Party Hardware packages can be added in all the usual ways, either using board manager, or by creating a hardware folder in your sketchbook and manually installing them there (you can also put them into the hardware folder inside the portable install folder, but this is not recommended). Neither of these methods (regardless of what kind of install you did) will install the CH340G drivers, regardless of how you installed the IDE.

Thank you,

Terminology confusion :)

I have the drivers installed on the system. In my main installation of Arduino I can see three new board options. In the portable I can't.

How would I get these to show up?

In board manager I was unable to find any CH340 (Can I add a source?) are you able to point me towards the steps for adding a hardware folder in my sketchbook?

Thanks again.

DisasterofPuppets: I have the drivers installed on the system. In my main installation of Arduino I can see three new board options.

What are they?

DisasterofPuppets: How would I get these to show up?

The same way you got them to show up in the standard IDE installation. Without more information, that's all the advice I can give.

DisasterofPuppets: In board manager I was unable to find any CH340

CH340 is not a "board". Please stop calling it a board. CH340 is a USB to TTL serial adapter chip. The Arduino IDE doesn't care which adapter chip you're using so there's absolutely nothing you need to do the the IDE to make it support the CH340. Once you have the driver installed on your computer, the CH340 creates a virtual COM port. The Arduino IDE doesn't care what hardware created that port. It could be from a CH340, FT232, CP2102, PL2303, ATmega16U2, etc. It doesn't make any difference.

DisasterofPuppets: are you able to point me towards the steps for adding a hardware folder in my sketchbook?

• Determine/set the sketchbook location at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location.
  • Open the sketchbook folder.
  • Create a folder named hardware.

Thanks again,

For info only..

From the boards selection I have these three extra and I can't remember when or how I installed them....

Atmel atmega328p Xplained mini Atmel atmega328pb Xplained mini Atmel atmega168p Xplained mini

Choosing either 1 or 2 from the above seems to be the only way I can get the sketch to upload.

Ignore above :)

As you mentioned CH340 is the chip not board (sorry I keep referring to the cheap clones in bulk by the chip).

Correct me if I am wrong, does that simply mean that once I install the drivers (done) there should be no further setup with arduino ide? IE I can simply set the Board and Programmer and it should work?

If so can you please clarify the programmer and board I need to choose for sanity sake..

Arduino/Genuino UNO (since its a UNO clone) Arduino as ISP

Thank you for the help, greatly appreciated.

DisasterofPuppets: From the boards selection I have these three extra and I can't remember when or how I installed them....

Atmel atmega328p Xplained mini Atmel atmega328pb Xplained mini Atmel atmega168p Xplained mini

Assuming you meant to write atmega168pb for the last one, you can install them like this:

• Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for the download to finish.
  • Scroll down until you find "Atmel AVR Xplained-minis by Atmel University France. Click on it.
  • Click "Install"
  • Wait for installation to finish.
  • Click "Close".

DisasterofPuppets: Correct me if I am wrong, does that simply mean that once I install the drivers (done) there should be no further setup with arduino ide? IE I can simply set the Board and Programmer and it should work?

If so can you please clarify the programmer and board I need to choose for sanity sake..

Arduino/Genuino UNO (since its a UNO clone) Arduino as ISP

That's correct. If you have the Uno clone connected to your computer via the USB cable, it doesn't make any difference what you select from the Tools > Programmer menu. That selection only matters for Tools > Burn Bootloader and Sketch > Upload Using Programmer.