Adding Libraries to Portable Installation

Hello,

I’ve installed a portable version of Arduino 1.8.2 (on Win7) as documented here:

On that page it states:

“From now on all the sketches, libraries and additional cores will be installed in the portable folder”

I noticed that after running the IDE for the first time it does indeed create a folder called ‘libraries’ under the ‘portable’ folder. But, if a place a library folder in ‘..\portable\libraries’, its examples don’t show up under ‘File --> Examples’.

However, if I put the library under ‘..\portable\sketchbook\libraries’, then the examples show up as expected.

So, it appears that the proper place to install custom libraries is:
‘..\portable\sketchbook\libraries’

Is this expected behavior?

Thanks.

gfvalvo:
I noticed that after running the IDE for the first time it does indeed create a folder called ‘libraries’ under the ‘portable’ folder.

Strange, I can't reproduce this.

gfvalvo:
So, it appears that the proper place to install custom libraries is:
‘..\portable\sketchbook\libraries’

Correct, but you should be aware that you can change the sketchbook folder to anywhere you like in the IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. If you change the sketchbook location then you should also adjust the location where you install libraries accordingly. It does make sense to have your sketchbook under the portable folder for true portability but there are also cases where you would want to share the same sketchbook location between multiple IDE versions. My usage of portable mode is to prevent one version of the Arduino IDE from interfering with other versions I have installed so true portability is not necessary to me.

gfvalvo:
Is this expected behavior?

The expected behavior is that the IDE should recognize libraries installed to {sketchbook folder}/libraries so it depends on your settings in preferences. The default sketchbook folder in portable mode is {Arduino IDE installation folder}/portable/sketchbook so that is the expected behavior with the default setting.

I’m new to Arduino platform.

How do you create a portable folder in a Mac OS environment. I was able to get it right the first time but now I’m unable to replicate it.

Is there a way to sync Arduino between computers?

Current Arduino version 1.8.5

jeylites:
How do you create a portable folder in a Mac OS environment.

Right-click on Arduino.app > Show Package Contents.
Create the folder under Contents/Java.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 00.36.11.png