Adding library

I am trying to add new library ( pinchangeint-v2.19beta.zip) and the name is invalid, of course if I change the name the system cannot find it and I get an error saying that. . Duh.
The initial "invalid " error cannot be read to the end - it writes under the “Copy error” button.
The manual warns not to unzip the file.
So how do I fix this?
Any constructive help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Vaclav

OK I copied the library zip file and renamed it.
Added to IDE, and shows up in “Import library” menu.
Imported - got a positive message and
BLANK new line in my sketch where new #include should have been.
I have not tried to use my ghost library.

library1.bmp (2.25 MB)

If you were to put your hands in your pockets, and ask the question again (without all the handwaving), perhaps we'd be able to help you.

What did you change the folder name to? Where is that folder that you renamed? Did you restart the IDE after installing the pin change interrupt library?

What manual does? I installed the pin change interrupt library by opening the zip file and dragging the contents to a folder, in my libraries directory, called PinChangeInt, restarted the IDE, and using the library. You can, too.

PaulS:
If you were to put your hands in your pockets, and ask the question again (without all the handwaving), perhaps we'd be able to help you.

What did you change the folder name to? Where is that folder that you renamed? Did you restart the IDE after installing the pin change interrupt library?

What manual does? I installed the pin change interrupt library by opening the zip file and dragging the contents to a folder, in my libraries directory, called PinChangeInt, restarted the IDE, and using the library. You can, too.

The automatic installation works if the .zip file content matches the required folder hierarchy, the pinchangeint-v2.......zip file doesn't.
BUT, here, the installation procedure is detailed :

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-pinchangeint/wiki/Installation

On Windows, open up your unzip tool- it may specify a location where you want to unzip your files. Make sure it will unzip to the location given in the IDE. Also make sure that you recreate full paths, if your zip tool has that option as well.

Alternatively, you can simply open up the zip archive and open another window to your Arduino libraries folder. Then drag the PinChangeInt folder over to the libraries folder.

does it work ? yes it does !

So how do I fix this?

the library designers wrote an "Installation" page, just read it

alnath:
The automatic installation works if the .zip file content matches the required folder hierarchy, the pinchangeint-v2.......zip file doesn't.
BUT, here, the installation procedure is detailed :

Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

On Windows, open up your unzip tool- it may specify a location where you want to unzip your files. Make sure it will unzip to the location given in the IDE. Also make sure that you recreate full paths, if your zip tool has that option as well.

Alternatively, you can simply open up the zip archive and open another window to your Arduino libraries folder. Then drag the PinChangeInt folder over to the libraries folder.

does it work ? yes it does !

So how do I fix this?

the library designers wrote an "Installation" page, just read it

Thanks.
I must have messed up big time. I downloaded the zipped file into my own directory.
"Installed it " (not really) and now I can access the library using Sketchbook in IDE, but cannot run any stuff using the library.

So far I have not found directory of sketchbook and when I do I need to delete all these menus / references to stuff which is not installed.
But I did find the real "libraries".
So can I create new subdirectory in "libraries", copy the zipped file there and than follow the installation as outlined in the library and NOT the IDE "New library" since the format is not compatible?
Many thanks for your help.
Vaclav

Inside that zip file are three folders:

Copy those three folders into your libraries folder. Don't make a sub-folder. You now have three extra libraries (folders). Then restart the IDE.

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=12153#info4

The initial "invalid " error cannot be read to the end - it writes under the "Copy error" button.

Is your mouse broken? Is your screen 12 pixels wide? Stretch the flippin' window!

Vaclav:
So can I create new subdirectory in "libraries", copy the zipped file there and than follow the installation as outlined in the library and NOT the IDE "New library" since the format is not compatible?
Many thanks for your help.
Vaclav

just unzip the file and follow what Nick says in answer #5