Adding memory

Hi, not sure where to ask. I want to add memory to an arduino. It would store data in the form of files of differing types. Drivers etc. Say 100 megs which could be interrogated/downloaded through a usb port. This would not need to be written by the arduino so could be removable or eprom etc, needs to be non-volatile though.

Eventually this would be a custom board so am looking for the best (cheapest) method. i.e. it might be better to solder a chip to save the cost of an sd card socket.

Any ideas please ? Initially it would be on a shield proto board though.

ideally it would be recognised as a drive when plugged into a PC.

SDcard - its got bad block detection and remapping, no one-chip non-volatile storage method can compete on reliability.

Remember the Arduino uses SPI to talk to SDcards, much much slower than native mode, the ability to unplug the card and read/write it in a PC/laptop is a big win.

Thanks, I was leaning in that direction, I suppose I should have asked, is the chip in the sd card available as a solderable smt package.?

Boardburner2: Thanks, I was leaning in that direction, I suppose I should have asked, is the chip in the sd card available as a solderable smt package.?

Yes. I agree with MarkT about flash, except that if the data is (supposed to be) invariant, and in a commercial product, a solderable flash chip is better than removable, and much better than almost any other type of memory. They can be fairly easily changed with your own software that a customer can use to apply upgrades or bug fixes.

Have a look at this datasheet, to point out only one example. http://elcodis.com/parts/654420/NAND08GAH0JZC5E.html#datasheet

I spotted a tape of 10 of these (1 GB size) on eBay, from China for $25.00 US, while looking for something else.

Thanks exactly what i need. Can you say what search terms you used please. I just end up finding usb sockets or at best , usb solutions requiring seperate memory and controller chips.

I suppose i need to read up on how the multimedia standard works .

Boardburner2: Can you say what search terms you used please.

I knew I'd seen them before, and tried "smt flash" (without the quotes). That was on eBay.

I haven't figured out any good search terms for Google. You might want to send iquiries off to Kingston and SanDisk. Oh, wait! Try this one: http://www.sandisk.com/products/embedded/inand/ They have two different interface specs, but they are definitely embedded and look like SMT. Good luck!

Boardburner2: This would not need to be written by the arduino

Does it need to be [u]read[/u] by the Arduino? (The mention of drivers makes me suspect not.) If you just want to include a storage device in the same physical package and present it to the host via the Arduino's USB port then a USB hub and a USB memory stick would do the job nicely.

PeterH:
Does it need to be read by the Arduino? (The mention of drivers makes me suspect not.) If you just want to include a storage device in the same physical package and present it to the host via the Arduino’s USB port then a USB hub and a USB memory stick would do the job nicely.

The mentiin if drivers suggests to me that the product will come with its own drivers, to be read by the Arduino at installation. Just a guess, though.

It is a bit unclear at the moment. I was given a business card that is basically a pcb with an edge connector which fits a standard usb cable.

Using a double sided pcb i was thinking that plugging in one way gives access to arduino or whatever, plugging in other way round gives access to operating software. I do not want the user to have the ability to modify the memory however, except through my own software. So i guess read only with the arduino being the only route to writing which i can control. The arduino will need memory of its own which an sd card seems to be the best solution.

Most things like that which plug into a USB cable are USB slaves tho. The Uno and Mega are USB slaves. Need to get a USB host in the mix. SD cards are accessed via SPI interface, where Uno/Mega can be a master.

Yes I would like the serial interface to be able to talk to an android or ipad.

The sd memory however would be acessed by the arduino diectly. The plug would be purely a serial port. Plugged other way around it would be a usb stick . I would like the option of controlling acess however, as there is an rfid reader i am thinking of a master card idea. Not sure if really needed but a couple of copper tracks to pins is a zero cost option.

Ideally i Would like a plug and go solution but for a pc a .inf file and possibly Software would be needed.

4000pa for my own usb id is not an option.