Adding wifi to Arduino

hi I have a couple of projects in mind that require wifi. I use mostly Arduino compatible devices based on nano, uno and mega. What is the best way to connect to wifi? The esp8266-01 doesn't seem to work for me beyond connecting to my wifi LAN. Are there any other devices that are easier to use?

I like this guy. Kinda Nano in size. You can use it as you would a Nano (Arduino IDE, multiple accessible I/O pins) and more powerful than a Nano to boot. Only draw back is that the I/Os are 3V. It can be powered by 5V.

But isn't it like the one I have? The problem I am presently facing is that most of the tutorials are geared towards using it on its own without an Arduino. The others didn't work for me. I need something that is designed for the Arduino so that I can focus on executing my project rather than to trying to figure out how to make it send data to the server.

sed003: hi I have a couple of projects in mind that require wifi. I use mostly Arduino compatible devices based on nano, uno and mega. What is the best way to connect to wifi? The esp8266-01 doesn't seem to work for me beyond connecting to my wifi LAN. Are there any other devices that are easier to use?

You can use esp8266 shield like WeMos D1 board. Which includes esp-12e module and Arduino compatible. It's really easy to use with many tutorials. Should try it.

Whats the project look like...eg what do you have to connect to.

Ive been using esp modules with the arduino ide so the code runs native on the board. Nodemcu boards are a good starting point...

The arduino is better if you have to do a lot of interfacing....but for the most part the esp modules have plenty of oomph.

Ps. "Doesnt work betond connecting to my lan" prompts the obvious "what else do you want to do?". I'd suggest that the next bit is going to require similar levels of knowledge/coding whichever platform you use

For starters I would like to monitor temperature sensors in different areas around the house especially in the furnace/ac room, but when I figure out how to get all my arduino's connected to the network I would like to be able to control them from my phone.

Just to clarify what I said, when my compiled code starts running it tells me "unsupported firmware" or something like that, then it fails to connect to thingspeak, but when I ping the device I am able to see it connected to my lan.

I try not to pull myself in too many directions (ie trying to learn too many things at once) because it distracts me from doing the actual project that I want to do. I will try the WeMos D1 to see if it works.

Thanks

sed003 wrote (in part):

when my compiled code starts running it tells me "unsupported firmware" or something like that, then it fails to connect to thingspeak,

I would think that you would want to understand and fix these issues first, but that is just me.

Sorry, I cannot help you with wifi for Arduino.

simple distributed sensors with wifi is esp8266 territory, you dont need the arduino. Instead you can use arduino language/ide to program the esp directly.

can i connect 10 sensors? in any case I still need to know how to send my arduino data to the outside world for more complex projects.

It depends on the sensors, of course.

One approach would be to use dallas one wire sensors (eg DS18B20), I cant tell you the device limit, but you could google the datasheet. I suspect in reality you'd find it easier to deploy multiple modules to manage different areas of the house (easier than flinging cabling everywhere).

Connecting to the outside world, is easy. Setup an account on thingspeak, or whichever flavour of IOT data service you like (EMON is quite nice). Add the credentials for your wifi and your IOT data service to the code on the ESP and off you go.

Theres lots of code examples, if you invest a bit of time in googling.