Addressable ring of vibrating discs.

I am looking to have around 30-60 addressable vibrating discs or speaker at sub-audible levels in a ring. My goal is to be able to dynamically change the amount of vibration coming from each node. I am just beginning research so I thought I would post this and get started and check back to see if anyone has any thoughts on what direction I should be going with which board/shield that can handle such a thing or if I am about to chase a very difficult thing. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

These are the discs I am currently looking at trying to control. Vibrating Mini Motor Disc : ID 1201 : $1.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Z

This board can sink current thru up to 96 of those motors using TPIC6B595 shift registers.
Includes a '328P setup as an Arduino, just plug on an FTDI Basic or equivalent, or program it via the ICSP header.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

• 5V current draw: 100mA, 4V current draw: 80mA, 3V current draw: 60mA, 2V current draw: 40mA

With that much current, probably want to connect up the 5V, 4V, whatever, externally.

A nice board :slight_smile:

The “amount of vibration” indicates to me a variable motor voltage or current. PWM may suit that purpose, but the amount of PWM pins is limited on every Arduino. You may have to use some software PWM library, or write your own.