Adjustable Frequency with a 555 timer

Hello all, so i am working on a balancing bot that is using geared motors. The bot works and holds balance with little sway, but the motors 'wine' excessively.. My idea is to use a 555 timer to to set the proper frequency for the motor response. i am using an Arduino Nano. the motor driver is an LM293D.. I am aware that the clock frequency can be changed on the Nano, but it also requires the coding to mach, as the delays are changed also. So my goal is to be able to adjust the frequency manually.

I don't understand what you're trying to do... Are you trying to use the 555 to generate the PWM frequency? I don't think that's possible if you still want the Arduino to control the PWM... And, what's "adjusting" the frequency? The Arduino or a pot?

ok, i would like to use the Nano to drive the 555 IC, My idea is that the 555 IC will act as the I/O pin from the Nano, and basically the Nano will control the 555 IC duty cycle. The frequency would be adjusted with a pot.

currently the Nano is connected directly to the L293D. My idea would place the 555 IC between the Nano and the L293D.

i apologize if this isn't very understandable.

The nano can be programmed to do anything a 555 chip can do.

I understand that, but does it require changing the Nano clock frequency's? if so, I am trying to Avoid that route.

i have multiple geared motor sets that i have collected, and intend to use with other projects and the balancing bot i'm currently working on.

my goal is to be able to make the necessary adjustments for the different motor sets without changing the Coding for the bot..

You can vary the frequency by varying the voltage on the threshold pin of a 555

the Frequency will be changed using a pot, but the duty cycle needs to be controlled by the Nano..

thanks for the feedback everyone, gonna work on this some more and get back with some pics and code for a better understanding of what im trying to accomplish.

tinkerinMan:
I understand that, but does it require changing the Nano clock frequency's? if so, I am trying to Avoid that route.

If by "Clock Frequency", you mean the crystal, of course not! You program frequencies either by software counters, or the counter hardware provided in the microcontroller.

tinkerinMan:
my goal is to be able to make the necessary adjustments for the different motor sets without changing the Coding for the bot..

Not a sensible idea. Coding is what a microcontroller is all about. You code it to do the "thinking" for you.

There's clearly an "XY problem" here. It's in the third sentence of your first post.

Use a timer PWM output to produce an extremely wide range of frequencies, at any duty cycle.

Set your own PWM frequency. >20 kHz and you shouldn't hear anything.

again many thanks everyone, so it has become very clear tom me that my idea is not a good one at all and very impractical, so this said, i will make the necessary changes for the Counters.. also will have to change the Nano pins being used.. i also think my bot design is flawed as far as power supply goes... a single 12V(2 X 12V AA battery packs) supply for the whole bot. i'm pretty sure i need to separate the motor supply from the rest of the circuit.. anyhoo this is just a fun project for me. pointer's and insight on the arduino and circuit building is very welcome as to the fact that i have no clue what i'm doing other than learning.

here is a link to my bot and all the info for the coding,,