Adjustable Power Supply has 4.5 & 6 volts - OK for Arduino?

I am looking to buy one of these to drive y projects.

It shows output voltages as 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12V DC

I’m used to driving my Arduino through 5v USB or 5V wall chargers for mobile phones.

Using this adapter for daily Arduino work would you choose 4.5 or 6 volts to drive it or just use the 9 volt setting as we know the Arduino can take that anyway as an input.

I’d like to be able to use this to drive an Arduino that controls an LED array strip that takes 12v, presumably using a relay.

Is there an easy way to have this adapter provide the 12 volts for the LED strip as well as the 5 volts for the Arduino or just split the cable to provide 12 volts to them both as the Arduino can accept that input.

I’ve never considered the long term effects of giving the Arduino and input of 12 volts. Over time does dissipating the higher voltage down to 5V shorten the lifespan of the Arduino?

That link didn't work the first time. I don't know why. This link seems to work better : http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=350744

You can use the 5V for the usb plug (but if accidently touching the slider for a higher voltage, the Arduino board will get damaged). Or you can use 7.5V for the power jack.

The adapter can not give two voltages. It is a switching power supply with one output voltage.

You can run the Arduino at 12V, but the voltage regulator on the Arduino board might get warm. If you can't keep your finger on it, it is too hot. I often use a DC-DC converter. For example from 12V to 7.5V for the power jack.

There is no 5volt, so I guess I will use the 6 volt setting.

My link doesn't work either, it works only after a few times ? :confused: Using the 6V is not so good. The DC power jack needs at least 7.5V.